2018 Cub Cadet RZT 46 won't start

circad200

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower developed a problem where the engine would die 5-6 times until it was warmed up (I guess). Given that it's mowing season, I was going to wait a bit to deal with that problem. So, I let the mower warm up for a few minutes before beginning to mow. I got on, mowed for about one beer's worth, then returned to the garage for the second beer. Just as I was about to stop, it died. Now, it won't start, nothing happens, even the headlight doesn't come on, so I don't know if it's related to the first issue but I don't like coincidences.

In case it's helpful, it has never died while the mower blade itself is running but that might just be the luck of the draw.

The last time I had this into the shop, it took three months to get it back. Hoping to avoid that this time. :) Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by checking the battery voltage > 12.5 = good
If less then pop it on the charger while you have a couple of beers.
While it is charging follow the battery cables to where they connect to the mower, remov e that connection , clean te contact area and bolt / nut head then retighten
Painting over with liquid electrical tape when finished is even better

If you have 12.5 V or better at the battery check voltage at starter solenoid to frame then repeat with the key in the start position.
If it does not start try replacing the fuse .
If still no joy proceedures become engine specific so you need to post engine details

circad200

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bertsmobile! You led me to the answer, although I'm not sure it will stay fixed.

The battery checked out (I should have posted that in my question), and I performed the steps you suggested. The fuse was fine. Shorting the solenoid turned the engine, and since that has been replaced I suspected something coming from the key side of things. I took that side apart hoping to find some kind of mechanical failure, found none, realized I didn't know all of the wires were for (tried jumping a few poking around), put it back together and BOOM!, starts right up.

So I'm assuming something was loose, and will probably work its way loose again, but I got about a six pack of mowing to do so I'll worry about that later!

Thanks again!

Last edited: