Export thread

2014 troy bilt pony will not start

M

marionr26

Here is my problem. Bought this pony I new it had a bad battery (or maybe a failing starter as well). After it sitting up a week in my garage it never smelled like gas in the garage. I used it like four days ago it ran great I even cut it off a few times,it always cranked right up. After using it about 2.5 hrs I sprayed it off with the water hose and let it dry. Then cranked up and parked it in the garage. I noticed the next day when I went in garage a strong Gas Smell. I said I need to crank and drive it out of here. It wouldn't crank it sounded like a dead batt but the battery is new only 2.5 hrs on it. I kept trying it would turn over a few half turns only. Then the starter started smoking. I then hooked jumper cables to it. After a few secs it would turn over but would never fire up. I don't know why. I kept trying,then pulled the plug it was black on the end damp and smelled like gas. I know the previous owner always cranked with a jumper box,he didn't want buy a new batt. Could all that jumping have hurt the starter? Why why why do I smell the strong gas smell,yet I don't see a leak nothing wet under mower but like a quarter size wet spot only. I'm going to replace the starter solenoid and the starter and plug. I hope after those three it will run. Any idea why the strong gas smell one says the float could be stuck in carb,one talks about the fuel filter. I did cut some in a sand area like new construction home and mostly dirt in back yard. Why did it crank after I sprayed it off if it was that. It sat three days after cut now won't start. Starter I'm sure bad it was cracking sizzling smoking.

Thank you please give me feed back first time rider owner.

B

bertsmobile1

The carburettor is leaking fuel through the bowl vent
EPA regulation require the bowl vent to vent INTO the engine .
So the carb is dumping fuel into the engine which pools on top of the piston then slowly dribbles down into the sump
When you try to crank the engine, if the volume of petrol waiting to dribble down into the sump is greater than the volume of the combustion chamber the starter can not crank the engine because you can not compress a liquid
This is called hydro locking and can burn out starter motors, blow out head gaskets or even bend con rods .
Check the oil level on the dip stick
You will find it is higher than it should be, is thinner than new oil and smells of fuel .
So the carb has to be repaired so it does not leak
The oil has to be changed ( twice is best, once before & once after the next mow )
And for home owners I just advise to replace the head gasket just in case
When the head is off you can check the height of the piston
At TDC it should be flush with the end of the bore for most engines

M

marionr26

It was running fine with no issues. Parked it and 3 days later this happens. You think just bolt on a new carb. I guess it took cutting the yard to get the gas smell. Never had the smell before.