2014 Raptor 52" Transaxle Drive Belt Issues

chrisn710

Threads
Hi, My 2014 Raptor has thrown the the drivebelt off 3 times, twice last year and again today when I was mowing my land for the first time this season. The belt tension is controlled by a tensioner and there are no adjustments. I can put the belt back on, but I am thinking maybe the belt is stretched now and may need replacement. I haven't looked carefully at how to replace the belt. Anyone know how big of a job that would be? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually it is sticks & stone getting tossed up nto the belt that tosses them off.
When theyget tossed off they usually get damaged so will jump off at the slightest provocation.
Not a hard job to replace.
While the belt is off check all pulleys for any damage and all fasteners for tightness.
Pumps occasionally work themselves loose so will toss off belts .

chrisn710

Threads
Usually it is sticks & stone getting tossed up nto the belt that tosses them off.
When theyget tossed off they usually get damaged so will jump off at the slightest provocation.
Not a hard job to replace.
While the belt is off check all pulleys for any damage and all fasteners for tightness.
Pumps occasionally work themselves loose so will toss off belts .

Yeah I noticed a small nick on the belt today when I put it back on. It ran for about 30 seconds before derailing again. I'm wondering now if I can get a replacement belt at an auto parts store instead of using an OEM belt through the dealer. It looks like a fairly standard sized belt.

MRCo.

Threads
It's not a hard job, simple routing. Stick o the OEM belt, Hustler price parts very reasonably.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a pump you can run standard belts with no problems, if they fit.
Std belts come in whole inch sizes, mower belts come in fractional sizes Yours might not be a std size.
Sed belts are canvas cord which is not as strong as Kevlar fiber used in most mower belts.

Bc4444

Forum Newbie
Threads
On a pump you can run standard belts with no problems, if they fit.
Std belts come in whole inch sizes, mower belts come in fractional sizes Yours might not be a std size.
Sed belts are canvas cord which is not as strong as Kevlar fiber used in most mower belts.

I have the same problem! Put belt back on 5 times. Was wondering how hard it would be to replace? Looks like there are a lot of things in the way that need to come off first, like the belt connecting to the deck. Any helpful tips?

chrisn710

Threads
It is pretty easy to replace the drive belt. I removed the blade drive belt and the transaxle drive belt slipped right on. you can download a routing diagram from the Hustler website. It turns out my problem is that a stick or something flew up into the belt area and bent one of the plastic cooling fins that spin with the belt. That bent fin was interfering with the belt and knocking the belt off. You might have a similar problem. I took the machine to the dealer to replace the plastic fins, but if this happens again I think I could figure out how to drop that drive pump and replace the fins myself.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is pretty easy to replace the drive belt. I removed the blade drive belt and the transaxle drive belt slipped right on. you can download a routing diagram from the Hustler website. It turns out my problem is that a stick or something flew up into the belt area and bent one of the plastic cooling fins that spin with the belt. That bent fin was interfering with the belt and knocking the belt off. You might have a similar problem. I took the machine to the dealer to replace the plastic fins, but if this happens again I think I could figure out how to drop that drive pump and replace the fins myself.

It is a perpetual problem.
If you fit a stone guard around the belts then they become impossible to replace.
If you don't fit a stone guard then the belt cops a hiding.
If the fan pulls air down then anything that gets thrown up high enough to hit the floor will get sucked into the fan
If the fan sucks air up then it picks up all the low debris