2013 Dixon Ram Ultra 61" Review

Heus

Threads
Brand new 2013 Ultra. I have mowed with it twice.
Pros: mows great, engine is surprisingly quiet and smooth (27 Koehler courage), 3400 Hydros, solid deck, beefy frame, nice big tires, pretty comfortable seat, like the foot operated deck lift, got it for $4500 out the door.
Cons: brackets that hold the fenders/gas tank/control panel are flimsy. They flex around when mowing, no gas gauge, the Courage engine makes me nervous due to a lot of bad reviews.

Update: the "flimsy" side brackets just needed bolts tightened. They are fine now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

MRCo.

Threads
Deck and frame look solid. How's cut quality?

Heus

Threads
Cuts nice and even without any adjustments.

Heus

Threads
Another positive is that the oil drain has a hose that exits at the back of the machine for easy access. Another negative is the courage engine has real cheap plastic trim. The plastic dipstick just slides in no threads. The plastic door to access the air cleaner simply closes shut no fasteners or snaps. I think I got a real nice machine for the money, though.

MRCo.

Threads
Aside from the engine, it seems plenty of mower, especially at the price. I looked at them when shopping dealerships, and they had a couple nice models but the Courages up me off. Isn't the pedal in an obtrusive place?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Aside from the engine, it seems plenty of mower, especially at the price. I looked at them when shopping dealerships, and they had a couple nice models but the Courages up me off. Isn't the pedal in an obtrusive place?

I think user Heus will be happy with that Ram Ultra and the information I gleaned about the terrible design flaws on the Kohler Courage were for the single cylinder series, not the twin cylinder on that Dixon. Regular oil/filter maintenance and I think it'll do fine. I too looked at the Dixons in the Fall of 2012 and I "almost" pulled the trigger on a 52" DX100 commercial The Dixons(yeah, everbody comments about how they are owned by Husqvarna, but my dealer has sold Dixons for 15 years and he said Husq didn't change anything when they took over manufacturing the Dixon....in fact they implemented some of the Dixon features/designs into their MZ series ZTR's). They are very well built and good value for the money. Funny you should ask about the deck lift pedal.......that was one of the deciding factors(along with a better money deal) for me going with the Gravely. My local Dixon dealer also carried Bad Boy ZTR's and I was interested in them as well. I had polio as an infant which affected the muscle system on my right leg. The massive 5gauge deck and lift system on the Bad Boy Outlaw made it virtually impossible for me to adjust the deck height...try as I might. The Dixon, because of the lift placement also was a little difficult for me. The Gravely was just perfect regarding the placement, spring assisted lift and by far was one of the easiest decks to adjust I had found. A small feature for most but was pretty important for me(although I usually just store it at the highest position to take all tension off the springs and set the adjustment when I begin mowing....once and I'm done).

Heus

Threads
It has been raining here for 5 days straight. I decided to mow in a light rain today. The cut was super leaving no clumps whatsoever. I have 7.5 hours of cutting on it now. One thing that puzzles me is that the hour meter only counts when the blades are running. Is this typical of other brands?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has been raining here for 5 days straight. I decided to mow in a light rain today. The cut was super leaving no clumps whatsoever. I have 7.5 hours of cutting on it now. One thing that puzzles me is that the hour meter only counts when the blades are running. Is this typical of other brands?
You know that does sound a little strange. I'm 99.9% sure that my Gravely's hour meter runs whenever the engine is running. Sounds like that Dixon is doing a very good job for you(I really liked the Dixon's, my second choice was the 52" DX100).

Arnezie

Threads
Yea thats what a lot of them do now. Leave the key on by accident and you won't end up with hours you didn't run it.:thumbsup:

serelaw

Threads
Mine is the same. I like it. I only use the mower to mow.
The distance from the garage to the lawn is maybe 25'.
I have noticed on mine the two front spindle zerks have fallen off.
They appear to be the press fit type.
Gonna have to tap two 5/16 sae in there this week.
Also, the only difference I can find between the Briggs 28 hp 49L977-0125-G5 is part # 117 in the carb Click 28 Here
and the Briggs 30 hp 49M877-5598-G5 Click 30 hp Here

Part Number #117 Briggs and Stratton 842633 Jet-Main ((Standard)) Your price: $10.55
Unless I missed something. Please let me know if you find anything.