2012 MZ 48 no crank

Jonathan Morillo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, first post here and hope you guys can figure out my problem. I got '12 MZ 48 I got second hand from a friend f the family. I had it for about a year with little to no problems. New spindle, throttle adjustment, and blades. Motor runs perfectly. But about a month ago, it doesn't want to start. I turn the key to the on position, clicks. When I turn to crack, nothing. No click no nothing. But when I jump the solenoid, it starts. I got a new solenoid and new key switch. Now when I turn the key to start, it just clicks. It starts when I jump the solenoid. Battery is good

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Everything that the owners manual tells you you must do before you try to start the mower has a switch to see if it is in the right position
The switches are a daisy chain so if one fails, no cranking
I use short jumper leads ( patch cords to be technical ) to jump the terminals at the switch plugs
If that does not cause the engine to crank then I go to longer ones that go from in input side of one plug to the output side of the next in the circuit .
If you download your circuit diagram it will make the diagnosis substantially easier

Jonathan Morillo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to figure it out. A little of what if thinking and it worked. I started thinking backwards and figured out the solenoid wasn't grounded. The solenoid I put was a universal one the way you ground it was different than the original solenoid. Now it cranks only issue now it's having a hard time starting I'm assuming weak battery because it loses cranking amps while starting. Or it could be fuel related. But once i present a damp rag with gas to the intake, it starts right up no problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If that happens it suggests that the choke is not closing fully
Check that the butterfly is fully closed.
If not loosen the throttle cable clamp near the carb and move it back till the choke closes fully

Jonathan Morillo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just verified it. You are correct. While in full choke, still had about 1/8 til closed. Manually closed it while cranking and started right up. Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just verified it. You are correct. While in full choke, still had about 1/8 til closed. Manually closed it while cranking and started right up. Thank you
Excellent
It is a common problem
Getting that clamp just right is a perpetual problem particularly with plastic coated cables

Threads
Hey guys, first post here and hope you guys can figure out my problem. I got '12 MZ 48 I got second hand from a friend f the family. I had it for about a year with little to no problems. New spindle, throttle adjustment, and blades. Motor runs perfectly. But about a month ago, it doesn't want to start. I turn the key to the on position, clicks. When I turn to crack, nothing. No click no nothing. But when I jump the solenoid, it starts. I got a new solenoid and new key switch. Now when I turn the key to start, it just clicks. It starts when I jump the solenoid. Battery is good
safety switch is bad or you have a bad connection

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
safety switch is bad or you have a bad connection
Please read through the whole thread that you are repling to before posting. The OP has already found the problem so your reply is unnecessarily pointing out what was already found.