2012 Exmark Pioneer 48" Electical Question

Texas Blues

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, question about the above Exmark Pioneer 48". Just bought this mower with no expectations. Previous owner said it needed a motor, so I was expecting at least that. Turns out, it just needed the number 2 cylinder head replaced (broken exhaust valve). Now that it is running, I noticed an issue, or at least something I would not have expected with a magneto system. The battery was old and dead so I had to jump it off to get it started. Once it started, I removed the jumper cables and the motor died instantly. I then put in a new battery and it started and ran good with the new battery. It still dies when the battery is not connected, its been my experience that a mag system will run until either the coils are grounded or the fuel is shut off (the latter takes longer of course). On these Exmarks, is there something specific about the electrical system that the battery has to be present (and hot) for the mags/coils to keep working? The charging system is running at about 14.5V when the engine is running. The safety switches seem to be working, at least they do like the ones on my Laser Z. It's more of a curiosity than a problem right now, but really want to know if that is normal. Thanks! TB

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a cut off solenoid on the carburettor that blocks the supply of fuel to the engine.
IT needs 9V DC minimum to stay open
So your mower has a problem in the charging circuits as it should be making 13V to 14V off the alternator which in theory should be enough to hold the solenoid open
A new battery will run a mower continiousy for around 3 hours or do aroud 20 starts
EXmark hide their wiring diagrams in the back of their owners manuals and owners manuals are a free download from the EXmark web site .

Texas Blues

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bertsmobile1. I was able to make the motor die when I disconnected the fuel solenoid, the motor will stay running briefly then die. This seems more of an instant loss of spark, as it dies instantly like you turned the key off (grounded the coils). I havent viewed the wire diagrams yet, but it is probably normal. I just seemed odd that all. TB