2009 Scag Wildcat Deck Height Issues

Sscook

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a gently used 2009 Scag Wildcat STWC-61V with a 61 inch Velocity Deck (500 hours). I'm having issues getting the deck height raised to match the indicator on the mower. Basically when I set the mower in the 5 inch slot, the blade to floor measures 3.5 inches. I have adjusted the mower just as the manual instructs (height adjustment on the foot peddle to raise the deck) but cannot for the life of me get it to raise any higher. The deck is perfectly level on all four corners. Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions on how I can fix this issue? I would really appreciate any help.

I have debated on raising the suspension chains on the deck from the factory 5 link to link 4 or 3 as this would work to get the deck higher. However, everything I have read discourages this as the 5 link chain is where it is set at the factory. I'm just wondering if this is the right thing to do or if it would negatively affect the mowing deck.

Again, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the deck is in the raised position, how close does it come to the stops that are mounted under the frame?
Mad Mackie in CT

RatRacer

Threads
Welcome Sir.
Since you were not in possession of the mower for the first 500 hrs. of its use, I'd say move the chains. But first, verify that the tires are of OEM size, and fully inflated to spec, as that can affect height also. The factory built in adjustments to, well, adjust. Make it be where it needs to be, because you can always put it back if it turns out to be something else.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The adjustable link that connects the foot pedal to the height adjusting and up lock mechanism controls the height adjustment. Look in your operators manual for Cutter Deck Height Adjustment.
Mad Mackie in CT

Sscook

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the up position the deck measures about an inch from the stops on the mower frame. I have adjusted the linkage rod between foot peddle and height indicator to full extension and the blade to floor measure is 3 7/16.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The deck height adjustment on your machine is a turnbuckle with R/H thread on one end and L/H thread on the other. Shortening this link raises up the deck height. A one inch gap between the deck and the deck stops when the deck is in the up and locked position is too much and tells me that the deck height adjustment needs to be shortened. With the deck height correctly adjusted and the pin in the 5" position, there is very little movement of the pedal to the up and locked position.
My Tiger Cub was way off when delivered new to me and I had to readjust it. I generally mow between 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" of deck height and when I checked the cut height, I found that I had to readjust it quite a lot.
Manuals for your Scag are available on their website if you need them you can download them in pdf form, save or print them.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: