Repairs 2007 Lazer Z PTO/Engine bogging issue

pscm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2007 exmark model LAS28KA604 with a 26 HP Kawasaki model 6KAXS and about 360 hours on it. My wife told me a couple of weeks ago that the motor was bogging when she engaged the PTO. I obviously went and investigated and could find nothing wrong a chalked it up to something I was not around to witness so I was chasing a ghost. Sure enough the next time I used it after running for a while when I engaged the PTO the engine felt like it was at half power. After several seconds it sounded like the clutch finally fully engaged and the engine/blades got to full speed. When I started troubleshooting I noted that sometimes it would take a really long time for the engine to come up to full speed and sometimes it would never. It seems as if engagement occurs but for whatever reason it won't come up to speed. I have already replaced the main drive belt and battery as both were near due anyways.

Also trying to locate a wiring diagram for this as well. I recently adjusted valves as well as it seems to get hung up on TDC when starting at times. The valve adjust didn't make a difference. Any ideas what to check?

Thanks for any input.

Honda Tech

Threads
You probably have two separate issues going on here. First, if you adjusted the valves with the piston at top dead center, then you most likely adjusted the exhaust valve on the decompression lobe, which is why it is not cranking over properly. Adjust your valves 10 - 15 degrees past TDC, then they will be adjusted correctly.
You power loss is most likely due to one of the ignition coils failing and as you noted, running on one cylinder (half power). Not uncommon. You can pull the spark plug boot off of the plugs, one at a time when this power loss occurs. When you pull the 'good' one, the engine will die. When you pull the 'dead' one, there will be no change.

pscm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. After posting I went and took a good look over. I did find the battery ground bolt loose which also has the ground wires for the rest of the mower. It wasn't real loose but enough based on my experience that it could very well be the culprit. I will know soon enough. As for the valve adjust, I did it per the manual. Curious if you can tell me if your statment about 10 to 15 past TDC is common knowledge on the kawaski's? To find 10 to 15 degrees PTDC is this just a rotational guess based on a reference point. Not sure how else to do this without special tooling.

Thanks again for the input.

Honda Tech

Threads
I am assuming that your Lazer Z has a Kawasaki FX series engine. Per their service manual, you would find that the flywheel magnets are centered with the ignition coils at TDC. They reflect in their manual to continue rotating the flywheel magnets just past the coil, roughly 10 degrees past TDC.