2005 Generac GTV-760 Oil Pressure Problem

bijiminy

Threads
Yes u are right I forgot about the Silver Eagle they do have the oil light when u turn on the switch they light up until the oil pressure goes up. I never saw one flash. Guess I never saw one with a bad oil sending unit. The sending unit was really an issue with the classic. Replaced a lot of them. The sump is replaceable on the Generac engine. Too bad U gave the mower away it is fixable. Generac was a really good engine until the epa got into the act and put the emission standards on the small engine industry. Generac instead of updating the engine to meet the standards they just kept leaning the carb down to meet the standards and they started dropping exhaust valves.
I wish you were in the Nashville area. I had no real support here with anyone who knew anything about these engines. Are all small engines dropping exhaust valves now? What is the best gas engine?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I work in the Gallatin area. Not far away. I wish I could tell you no but I see more that I would say was acceptable. To me any engine that drops an exhaust valve is too many without some adverse situation like a large mouse nest or the cylinder fins all clogged up with some foreign matter. They say Kawasaki is the best engine in the commercial mowing industry but I won't tell you that see too many of them for me drops valve. You never see Kohler or Briggs drop valves. Kawasaki says their goal is to have the best engine in the industry. Well if they want that they need to fix the head problem and then they might have the best in the industry. I would say that Kohler the Command is hard to beat commercially. They have had head gasket issues but they finally got that fixed after over 20 years. At least if you blow a head gasket it won't wipe the engine out you can fix it. The Briggs Vanguard big block is a really good engine though it was built by Daihatsu in Japan. They say they have moved production to Texas can't verify that though.

bijiminy

Threads
I work in the Gallatin area. Not far away. I wish I could tell you no but I see more that I would say was acceptable. To me any engine that drops an exhaust valve is too many without some adverse situation like a large mouse nest or the cylinder fins all clogged up with some foreign matter. They say Kawasaki is the best engine in the commercial mowing industry but I won't tell you that see too many of them for me drops valve. You never see Kohler or Briggs drop valves. Kawasaki says their goal is to have the best engine in the industry. Well if they want that they need to fix the head problem and then they might have the best in the industry. I would say that Kohler the Command is hard to beat commercially. They have had head gasket issues but they finally got that fixed after over 20 years. At least if you blow a head gasket it won't wipe the engine out you can fix it. The Briggs Vanguard big block is a really good engine though it was built by Daihatsu in Japan. They say they have moved production to Texas can't verify that though.
Thanks for the responses. I’m now thinking about going back to Kubota Diesel mower. I’ve had two. Never had any problems. Wish I had known you were around sooner.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They say Kawasaki is the best engine in the commercial mowing industry but I won't tell you that see too many of them for me drops valve. You never see Kohler or Briggs drop valves. Kawasaki says their goal is to have the best engine in the industry. Well if they want that they need to fix the head problem and then they might have the best in the industry.
I have to disagree that Briggs and Kohler don't a valve. Valve physically in place but either a valve seat or valve guide usually unless it just someone never adjusted the valves.

My personal 33 series Briggs lost the exhaust valve seat. I have valve guides move on both Briggs and Kohler OHV engines. And even had a customer that nearly lost a Briggs engine because a valve seat failure. I ended up having to replace both the head and piston. Usually when the Briggs valve guides moves they do drop a valve from have a bent push rods. Also sometimes a Briggs valve gets dropped due broken push rod (one that worn to thin).

And yes I have replaced two Kawasaki heads this year because of overheating due to block cooling fins. This is not a Kawasaki but is maintenance problem. The first one was cause oil and dirt compaction causing by a flywheel oil leak that the customer ignored. The second one was on a Wright stand on mower which was actually a Wright design problem. They have put the hydro cooling radiator directly over the engine. They were depending the engine to suck the heated air through the engine. Well the radiator became half clogged leading to over heating hydro system which in turn over heated the engine. Actually melted the engine shroud and the flywheel fan along destroying #2 head. Neither of these were Kawasaki design problem but induced failures.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've never seen an engine drop a seat that was not getting too hot. (i.e., rats nest in the shroud, dirt oil build up, etc)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I've never seen an engine drop a seat that was not getting too hot. (i.e., rats nest in the shroud, dirt oil build up, etc)
Or on my personal mower a loose exhaust pipe.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Loose pipe caused a dropped seat? New one on me.
Well it did happen which why the seat now a ring of punch marks around it now.

And I always say everything is possible.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Exactly, Never say "I've seen it all"

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Generac had an issue with theirs dropping exhaust valve seats they even went as far as to warranty the head for the life of the engine. If it survived dropping the seat. I have seen several drop seats and live to run again. I did 2 back to back last year. They were clean engines and did not over heat.