2003 61V STT - Belt Question

bfisher816

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought my Scag ~5 years ago and have keeping up on my maintenance and I have a question regarding my pump drive belt. I was experiencing a bad vibration throughout my mower a few weeks ago so, I replaced the following items as it was time to replace anyway:
1) Deck idler pulley, deck tensioner spring, tensioner pulley, and both pivot bearing (both were smoked) and cutter deck drive belt 2.) Pump drive belt, tension spring, idler pulley, both pivot bearings, and a new belt 3.)Lastly the deck drive belt, tensioner spring, both pivot bearings, and the idler pulley on it as well. My spindles are in good shape so the vibration isn't coming from there either. When I start the mower the pump drive tensioner shakes like a leaf on a tree. My dad has an 07 STT 61V and has almost no vibration present. The only visible difference between mine and his is mine has a traditional V belt (482641) and his has a cog belt (both sourced from Scag). I'm thinking my alignment may be off or, is there something I am overlooking? When I bought the new spring for the pump drive tensioner, it came with a spacer that I installed. My previous spring did not have this. Going to eliminate it today as a variable. Am I over analyzing this/???

Thanks,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the inside of the pulleys
Good chance you will find a nut , bit of twig , small rock stuck right down the bottom of the groove .
I use a piece of wire and do it by feel rotating the pulleys into the wire

EA6BMECH

Threads
I had a rock stuck in mine the 1st time the belt broke. Had I missed it, I'd have broken another one. Mine now are chunks of the cog side of the belt are coming out even after a few hours on a new belt. Some blame bad belts from Stens from India.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While it is not impossible to get a bad belt I have changed around 8000 belts since I bought the repair run and am yet to come across a bad belt
However my belts stand up in cartons that are out of the sunlight
I go to a lot of places where the belt all hang from pegs often very close to the hot roof
This is bad for the belt , even worse if they get hit with direct sunlight at some time of the day