2002 Kohler 25hp Command Vertical Shaft Issues

Thanks for you time in advance.
A family member has a older Woods Commerical Zero Turn from 2002, one original owner. I mention the mower because the model and serial number is missing from the engine cover so I had to use the serial number on the Woods Mow n Machine M2560 to back in to the limited engine info I have.
Symptoms: Will run fairly well for about 30 minutes of cutting, power will drop quickly and mower will cut off. After 2 minutes it will crank and run about 15 to 20 minutes and after that about 15 to 10 minutes.
What I have Done: Replaced, oil, plugs, verified fuel flow, removed the carburetor fuel shut off plunger with no improvement. I also tried a SAM delete replacement that did not go well and resulted in poor timing and backfiring which I would think is a result of the delete kit not being compatible with the timing of the original flywheel. Fuel tank vents appear to be working well.
What I know about the current (all original to mower) SAM/coil/flywheel : Sam is a separate module about the size of a 1/2" stack of business cards mounted vertically with brown and yellow wires running to the coils, and has a red power feed from the mower splitting to the carb and a green ground wire. Kohler original 25-790-12 delete kit fit up well in accordance with instruction but engine was slightly weak and backfired after about 5 minutes as mentioned.
I have found a decent amount of contradicting info that all does appear to agree that it is unfortunate I do not have an exact model/serial number for the engine and that the Kohler evolution of the ignition/flywheel combinations has made this more complicated than you would think it should be.
I have found some hits on trying the 24-584-201(or 45) S coils and make my own delete wiring harness but I saw some hits on this dropping power and having subtle miss and I also see that some have had luck with die grinding out the coil slots to allow for lateral adjustment but do to the fact that it is not my mower I am hesitant to take this approach,
Questions: 1) Any insight would be greatly appreciate. 2) Is 24-755-308-S kit with flywheel my be repair option and is there anything I need to verify prior to ordering? 3)Are there any less expensive reliable options? 4) Am i correct that this old a ?SAM and coil setup is likely the culprit and needs to be swapped out?
Thanks.
If you're sure it's a 25 horsepower the 24 755 308-S kit is the only way to correctly fix it if it's an ignition issue. Just to clarify what you have, your SAM should have 2 brown wires, 2 yellow wires, one red, one white and one either green or black. If you look at the back of the SAM you'll see the potting material used to seal all the electronics inside. If there are any cracks in that, the SAM is likely the issue. If you want to look for a new SAM you might find one here on FB at Old Kohler Engines. There will be a part number on your SAM. It will be either 24 584 09 or 24 584 10. They are the same as far as the electronics go. The difference is in the connectors on the white and red wires. One will have spade connectors, and one will have bullet connectors. They are fully interchangeable if you don't mind dealing with the connectors.
 
Last edited:
If you're sure it's a 25 horsepower the 24 755 308-S kit is the only way to correctly fix it if it's an ignition issue. Just to clarify what you have, your SAM should have 2 brown wires, 2 yellow wires, one red, one white and one either green or black. If you look at the back of the SAM you'll see the potting material used to seal all the electronics inside. If there are any cracks in that, the SAM is likely the issue. If you want to look for a new SAM you might find one here on FB at Old Kohler Engines. There will be a part number on your SAM. It will be either 24 584 09 or 24 584 10. They are the same as far as the electronics go. The difference is in the connectors on the white and red wires. One will have spade connectors, and one will have bullet connectors. They are fully interchangeable if you don't mind dealing with the connectors.
I do have the 09 good to know the 10 is the same with change in ends. There is some fairly minor cracking around the base of wiring. Thanks.
 
Back
Top