2000? STT61 22KA ENGINE CUTS OUT

dsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turf tiger with 22hp Kaw shuts off when I bring in the two sticks to move. Brake swith seems to work correct as machine will not start with brake off. Machine starts and runs perfect. So far I have replaced the brake safety switch and the two stick safety switches and machine still shuts off when sticks are moved inward.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need to know the model and serial number of the machine, year doesn't tell much.

dsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
STT61-22KA
Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi dsmith,
Go to the Scag website and on the L/H side of the page is a list of links. Click on manuals, find your base model which is STT, click on it and at the bottom of the first section you will find the serial number range for your machine. Click on manuals and both the operators and parts manuals will down load. The wiring diagram is included in this manual.
Your machine has a liquid cooled Kawasaki?
Get back to the forum when you have these manuals in hand. I have already printed the wiring diagram and electrical parts lists for Kawasaki.
By serial number, your machine is an early STT.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

dsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK have downloaded and printed the manual and wiring schematic. Correct on the liquid cooled Kaw.

Doug

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Doug,
First off I suggest that you disconnect the positive terminal at the battery and disconnect each electrical connector inspect and clean. The male side of the connectors can be easily cleaned with a small wire brush, the female side not so easily. The following connectors: Engine harness, module connector, brake interlock, LH neutral, RH neutral, mower engage, key switch, start relay, and possibly the fuel pump. Do these one at a time, they are all different and some may need a small screwdriver to release the locks. Do them one at a time, reconnect them and reconnect the battery positive terminal and try to restart and operate the machine normally.
Bear in mind that all the safety circuits feed into the module which compares each and either allows other operations to happen or not. Your module is different from an air cooled machine module as it has input from the engine temp sensor.
Trace all the red wire circuits and you will see that as the power passes thru the safety switches, the wiring changes color as they pass onto and connect to the module plug and into the module. The yellow wire is the charging system output. As you trace it from the engine harness connector, it goes to a fuse holder and on to a terminal that appears to be not connected to anything. This terminal actually connects to a terminal on the keyswitch and when the keyswitch is in the off position, the circuit is open which isolates the charging system. The reason for this is to prevent backfeed into the charging system when the engine is not running which will quickly discharge the battery.
With the battery positive disconnected and the module plug disconnected you can check each safety interlock circuit for proper operation and hopefully diagnose where the problem is. All battery positive power starts at the red/yel wire on the solenoid, thru the fuse, splits off two ways, one to the relay which is the start relay and the other to the ammeter and onto the power into the keyswitch.
I don't know your skill level so this info may be above you.
Have fun!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi again Doug,
Modern small engines do not need battery power for spark as the make their own electricity for spark in the ignition coils and with the flywheel turning past them. This means that the primary winding in the coils has to be grounded to shut the engine off. This is done by the module and/or the keyswitch. When a safety circuit is compromised, the module will shut down the engine down if it was running or prevent it from cranking/starting. This is the WHT wire that comes from the engine harness to the module.
Mad Mackie in CT
I'm a retired mechanic in CT, I don't know everything, but I dig in to find out what I need to know!!!!:laughing:

dsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well , I replaced seat switch and Module and all is well. Cant believe how much I missed my turf tiger. Thanks to all who advised.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi dsmith,
Thank you for your feedback about your Turf Tiger repairs. The seat switch is a fairly common problem and the modules on older models are starting to fail as time goes on, pricey but necessary!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile: