2000 LTX1040 Variable Speed Pulley on Drive

mford57

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower quit pulling and the drive belt appeared to be shot. I replaced the belt but noticed that the center of the variable speed pulley was not spring loaded. It just moves up and falls down easily. My experience with variable pulleys is that the belt should stay on the outer part of the pulley until the belt has tension then as the belt moves in the pulley gets faster. My pulley just let the belt go in to the center.
Is my variable speed bad and needing replaced or am I just missing something?
Thanks,
MFord

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, sounds like it is fine. You need to go back with the correct belt though, one "the same length" won't work.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Cub cadet didn't bring the ltx1040 around until the 09 and 10's.
But this should be the correct belt part number
954-0467A

mford57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. That is the part number I am using. I guess it is a 2010. I just saw the 0. When I install the belt it goes to the center of the pulley instead of staying on the outside until I push the pedal. When this happens the upper belt is on the outer part of the pulley. Totally opposite of what it is supposed to be sitting idle. There is no resistance on the center part of the pulley.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Now, just throwing this out there....
The 2 idler pulleys that engage the drive under the frame.. I'm sorry, but im not quite comprehending what you mean by the belt going to the center of the pulley
Now, if you are sitting on the tractor, the left side of the drive belt should come from the engine pulley straight back to the trans, then the right side of the drive belt is weaved in between the two pulleys.
LTX1040DRIVE.PNG

mford57

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the info. I found a service manual on line and am reviewing it. I am talking about the variable speed pulley on the rear of the mower. It has 2 belts on it. the long belt on the bottom and the short belt on top. I did only replace the bottom belt and have since ordered the top,short one. The center of that pulley that separates the belts is free floating. My question was is it supposed to be spring loaded, but according to the service manual it should be free. Thank you for the time I really appreciate all the input from you guys.

Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The center pulley is NOT spring loaded, but free floating.