Export thread

2 Stroke Oil recommendation for 10525 6.5 hp Gold Series

I

intruder1500

I was using Lawnboy oil...it was discontinued. I switched to Castrol Super 2 stroke...it was discontinued. Anyone have a recommendation? I was looking at Shell Nautilus Outboard 2 stroke that meets the NMMATC-W3 recommendation.

R

Rivets

Outboard oil is used for water cooled,not air cooled engines. My recommendation is to use Opti2 oil, at about $2 per pouch.

I

intruder1500

Outboard oil is used for water cooled,not air cooled engines. My recommendation is to use Opti2 oil, at about $2 per pouch.
Thanks for the feedback. The Shell Nautilus oil is also recommended for air cooled two cycle including lawn mowers. Also for premix and oil injected. Where are you buying the Opti 2 oil?

R

Rivets

We carry it at our shop. Have seen it at WallyWorld and some of the big box stores. Goggle search should tell you where to find it in your area.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I would think 2 stroke oil would have the fewest demands placed on it of any oil. It's job is to lube the crank bearing and cylinder walls for one revolution. Then it's replaced by new oil.

I

intruder1500

I would think 2 stroke oil would have the fewest demands placed on it of any oil. It's job is to lube the crank bearing and cylinder walls for one revolution. Then it's replaced by new oil.
I'm pretty protective of both my Lawnboy 10525 21 year old mowers...have only put a coil and 2 rear wheels on one of them.... other than blade sharpening. I see that Phillips 66 Synjex 2 stroke oil meets all requirements but not finding any supply in Ontario, Canada. I think the Shell Nautilus is going to have to be my pick unless I find something better.

R

Romore

It also has to stay suspended in the gas and burn clean. There are a lot of demands on 2 stroke oil.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Those aren't lubricating qualities.

B

bertsmobile1

Any 2 stroke oil bought today will be 100% better than any oil available when the mower was made.
All 2-stroke oils now days are ashless & low sulphur , mix better , stay in disperson in the fuel tank and drop out under compression pressures .
SO don't fret.
Modern marine 2-strokes are usually vegetable based oils to reduce pollution of waterways

So buy what ever the local store sells and go for a mid priced oil or if it makes you feel good the highest priced oil.
Obviously the cheapest oil will be the worst as it is blended down to the lowest price using the lowest priced ingredients.
FWIW I am using Stens 2 stroke at the moment because when All power went bust they were selling it below cost .
I like to use the chamber pack and only sell chamber packs or 4 liter refils for pollution / landfill reduction reasons .

M

Milanomike

I've used Tanaka 2 stroke synthetic for years, used to use Opti, but Tanaka is available in a more convenient jug. Works great in my LB

rhiebert

rhiebert

I was using Lawnboy oil...it was discontinued. I switched to Castrol Super 2 stroke...it was discontinued. Anyone have a recommendation? I was looking at Shell Nautilus Outboard 2 stroke that meets the NMMATC-W3 recommendation.
My suggestion is "Saber Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil" as shown in the AMSOIL Factory-Direct Catalog.
Rudy Hiebert
<removed link>

Edited to remove advertising link. Please see forum rules regarding advertising.

I

intruder1500

My suggestion is "Saber Professional Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil" as shown in the AMSOIL Factory-Direct Catalog.
Rudy Hiebert
<removed link>
Thanks Rudy....I am able to source that locally.

rhiebert

rhiebert

Thanks Rudy....I am able to source that locally.
Cool; w/b interested to have feedback on how it worked for you. (rudyxhiebert@yahoo.com)

khr76

khr76

• Lucas Oil Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil
  • Pennzoil Marine XLF 2-Cycle Oil
  • Red Line 2-Stroke Race Oil

AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan

Currently I am running Pennzoil XLF in my 5024 Bricktop and 7262 and like it. But pulling the muffler later on to check the ports will let me know more about how it’s burning. Even though the Duraforce is more modern than my D433 and D600 engines, I have an email directly from Amsoil stating that they don’t recommend running Saber any leaner than 50:1 for Lawn Boys.

L8R,
Matt

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Any oil rated JASO FD will work fine.

H

hotajax

I'm pretty protective of both my Lawnboy 10525 21 year old mowers...have only put a coil and 2 rear wheels on one of them.... other than blade sharpening. I see that Phillips 66 Synjex 2 stroke oil meets all requirements but not finding any supply in Ontario, Canada. I think the Shell Nautilus is going to have to be my pick unless I find something better.

I use VP Fuel Full Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil. Don't know if they have it up there, but it's all of 7 buck for a 16 oz bottle with one of those measuring cups built into the bottle. Almost no smoke. Smells good enough on rub on before you go into town to go to the dance hall.

FuzzyDriver

FuzzyDriver

I've recommended it before, I'll do it again. Klotz full synthetic. Works as well or better than any other high quality 2-stroke oil and it smells great. They even sell candles so you can make your whole shop smell like Klotz. Win-Win! : )

1saxman

When I had a 10550, I ran Opti-2 at 50:1 with premium gas. Any 2-cycle oil for trimmers/saws, etc., you find at the home center will be great at 50:1 but the Opti-2 is really special. I bought it in a 32 oz dispenser bottle. I just could not make myself use it at 100:1 like their recommendation. At 50:1 I would only see smoke on choke, and that's as far as I'm willing to go.
Also, the Opti-4 10W-30 is incredible 4-cycle oil. I started a 4-cycle mower on that in 1990 and it is still in service and doesn't use a drop of oil. However I stopped buying Opti-4 sometime around 2006, now using Castrol Edge synthetic 10W-30

F

Fishnuts2

I've used Amsoil Saber in my LawnBoy mowers since the late 1970's. Never a problem, just use E-free gas, and use Saber at 4 oz. per 1 gallon of mix.