2 Questions on new push mower purchase! $250-$350

dlshet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have learned a lot reading through the old posts but I do have a few specific questions based on my situation.

I've become a homeowner and it's now time to move on from the wal-mart special. My budget is around $300 ($250-350). I don't need or want a self propelled, I like the idea of high rear wheels and bearings and I want plenty of power because I mostly mulch. I've really got my eye on the Husqvarna 7021P but my specific questions are:

1. Will the 160cc Honda give me enough power to mulch if I let the lawn go a couple days longer than I should? I'm having my lawn treated by a pro in my area and he told me I have some sort of creeping something or other (ivy???) in my back yard and it's going to take a while to clear up. It doesn't look like much but it really bogs the old wal-mart special which is like a 4.5 hp B&S or something like that.

2. Are high rear wheels really that important? I ask because I'm having a hard time finding the power, high wheel, non self propelled combo I'm looking for regardless of which brand I check out.

I don't have loyalty to any specific brand so I'm certainly open to any suggestions. I like the idea of owning an actual brand (Husqvarna, Honda, Cub Cadet, etc.) as opposed to a something made by someone owned by someone else, etc. But at this price point maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks for any help! With this warm spring in Michigan I need to mow ASAP.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To get through a lawn that has gotten away from you (especially mulching) you must do two things. Raise your height adjusters and mow when dry. If you don't do this it will not look good. That said, you will need a mower with at least a 5.5hp engine. (engines can no longer be rated in HP so find one that has at least 50 cm in size). Please stick to a major manufacturer (brand as you say) please. I am partial to Toro and Ariens and they both have a model which you are looking for, but no high wheels.