Engine 19hp Kawi tiger cub engine issues

Rtrout7983

Forum Newbie
Threads
Whats up y'all. I'm new to the forum and having some issues with my 19hp kawi. It seems to run fine when it's warm out although it will never start without the choke warmed up or not. The rpm is erratic at hi and low idle. Sometimes stalling at low idle. I ran some 93 fuel mixed 50/50 with aviation fuel to see if it's a gas issue with no change. Installed new plugs with no change. I bought it used with a broken hour meter because the price was too good to walk away from. I'd say it has 500- 1000 hrs on it based on wear evidence. Is there a mixture screw on these carbs? If so I can't find it in the manual. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Rob

cubby

Threads
Welcome to the forum Rob, I got a Tiger Cub with a 20 hp Kohler so it won't be the same but if you have
to choke it to start it cold or hot it's probably a fuel problem with the carb. Try using Sea Foam fuel
addititive, a lot of the guys on this forum use it with great results. I haven't used it yet but I got a bottle
just in case....cubby

bfcg

Threads
Once the 10% ethonol fuel sits in the carb and goes gummy, it won't matter if you put rocket fuel in the tank. It aint gonna run right until you clean the main jet. I build and repair guitars here in my shop so I always have just the right size guitar string to chase out the tiny holes. Works every single time. Do a search for real gasoline in your state here Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada , your motor will thank you for it.:licking:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The vast majority of vertical shaft engines have side draft carbs and with ever increasing demand for lower emissions run leaner mixtures. These and other factors have made it necessary to pull in choke even for a hot restart. Horizontal shaft engines on the other hand usually have down draft carbs which with the help of gravity will flow more fuel during cranking and not usually need choke for a restart.
Very seldom will my scag Tiger Cub/26 B&S ELS engine restart without full choke.
With the weather going the way is has been, my Tiger Cub is about to start the season soon!!!
I have changed the "cough medicine" formula that I add to the gasoline for both 2 and 4 strokes. StarTron, Seafoam, and carbon softening additives are now in my mix. The only ethanol free gasoline available here in CT is 94 octane available in one quart and 5 gallon cans available at several local power equipment dealers but the price of it will soon be higher than gold at $16 per gallon!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:cool::laughing:

Last edited:

bfcg

Threads
Yes the choke is almost always needed to cold start mine too but that does not explain the erratic running once started.
Clean the jets and enjoy a fine machine until next year when you will have to do it all over again. If you run it a couple of times a week you will be ok for the season but if you let it sit with fuel in the bowl you will get gummed up after a couple of weeks. This is based on my experience, your results may vary. Once you open the carb after a year of ethonol, be prepaired to replace that rubber seal...it will never go back in correctly.

bfcg

Threads
I have a good mind to cut a notch out of the back guard just to make carb removal easier. I have a bagger on mine and that just adds to the hassle.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bagger/collection systems are great until they are in the way!!!! Pain in the butt to remove, lifting it vertically until it is out of the supports is a two person job for me anyway, going back in is the same!!
I would try a serious dose of Sea Foam to see if it clears the carb. Most of the power equipment servicing dealers that I know use it and are happy with its performance. I now use it regularly when I refill my 5 gallon jugs. The 26 B&S ELS engine on my Tiger Cub sputtered several times last fall after sitting for three weeks in my trailer and Sea Foam cleared it nicely.
Bagger system on my Ingersoll 4018 is easily removed but not in the way as this machine is a GT and the engine is up front with the carb on the top.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: