1999 snapper blows smoke and oil

kyle johnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
no problem what so ever since new in 99 , I got 50 ft today and it just quit and huge white smoke cloud. Started again and got back from 50 ft and did same thing. Went and bought 1st ever plug and also took off cover to exhaust ............ oil is dripping fast and obviously blowing all over from exhaust pipe and muffler ? if that makes sense. Rings? gasket? ????? can I do this myself?
Thanks in advance if you can help

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
pull the dipstick and see if it is overfull and smells like gas. if so the needle valve in the carb is leaking and will new to be repaired.

kyle johnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
it cant have too much oil , I have never added any ....... do you think its a major engine problem?

wildbill

Threads
I have had several mowers in to be repaired and when I removed the spark plug there was a flood of gas-oil mixture coming out of the plug hole. Then, as soon as I removed the oil drain plug the same thing happened..... oil and gas came out. This can happen when the carb float needle-seat is not allowing the gas to stop flowing into the carb. The excess gas can flow into the engine through the intake port. I see it more nowadays since there is crap gas, methanol added. It makes the carbs sludge up with deposits.

Just remove the carb, take off the bowl, and clean everything out. The thing with the smoke, if the rings were bad you would see the smoke starting to happen little by little and increasing over time, a long time. Rings last for many years if the oil is kept up and changed occasionally.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A normal year for carb rebuilts for me in the shop for customers is around 20, that included pushmowers, riders, chainsaws and weedeaters among other things. this year I have already done over 60.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum. :smile: