1998 LTX1000 - PTO Clutch / Tie Rod Popping Off

Hydestone

Threads
I replaced a PTO clutch a few months ago and have since had the tie rod break twice. I noticed there was some wear on the tie rod where it had been rubbing the PTO clutch.

I have the PTO clutch up as high as I can get it on the shaft, but am not sure if it is up all the way, see photo below. The tie rod runs just over the top of the PTO clutch. Should it be below the PTO clutch?

If the PTO clutch should be up higher, any suggestions on how to snug it up? Tap it up with a hammer?

I want to mow the lawn this weekend and can't get parts soon enough. Any suggestions on how to temporarily secure the tie rod? I thought about zip ties, wire, band clamp, and drilling it out and through bolting it loosely. Thoughts?

Thanks

pto clutch and tie rod.jpg

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your model number from under seat beginning with 917.

Hydestone

Threads
The numbers are worn, so I'm not exactly sure. I have a manual for 917.272410 which seems close. My engine is a 20 HP Kohler, not the 18 shown on the manual.

I think the tie rod that was on there may not have been the correct model. The replacement I ordered matched the one that was on there, but it too seems like it might have been the wrong tie rod. It was straight with 90 degree ends which fed through the spindle assembly. The manual shows a bend in the middle, which looks like it would clear the PTO.

ltx 1000 sn.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Appear to be 917.272410

Appears that you have the antirotation arm in the srong hole of the clutch as it should 90 degree from it is now as the tie rod is rubbing on the clutch brake assembly.

1593712870588.png

Hydestone

Threads
Ah, so the clutch should be rotated 90 degrees to the left?

Remove the bolt, drop the clutch, rotate 90 degrees, and reinstall?

Hydestone

Threads
Rotated the PTO, looks good...no rubbing.

Any suggestions on salvaging the tie rod for another cut? I tried squeezing it back closed with a c clamp, thought I had is set back in the hole, but it popped out.

Hydestone

Threads
I just watched a 10 year old kid on you tube fix one. He basically greased the ball and socket, knocked it in the hole, then peened the perimeter with a ball peen hammer. I'll give that a shot.

Hydestone

Threads
Mower is back in action. Happy 4th...almost Miller time!