1997 mtd front drive belt removal

tk1251k

Threads
I have it down to removing the belt. It will not slide over the variable speed pulley. I removed the rear belt as instructions say but the drive belt has to be removed over those pulleys.Thought I had done this before with no problems but gues not. This mower power pro has no center plare to access from the top just the battery hole.Any help geting that beslt off is needed, thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to loosen the two mounting bolts on the outside of the chassis, not remove. This with allow you to tilt the pulley assembly, providing room to get the belt between the pulley and the chassis.

tk1251k

Threads
You need to loosen the two mounting bolts on the outside of the chassis, not remove. This with allow you to tilt the pulley assembly, providing room to get the belt between the pulley and the chassis.
Thanks> I am only seein gthe one bolt from the bottom that holds the pulleys on . I always have to loosen that one bolt not takin git off but that allows mwe to remove the top belt for the rear but I cannot get the front drive belt off the same way but I will keep looking.

tk1251k

Threads
This is a 1997 pro power 12 hp model 452 transmatic. I have turned wrenches all my life my dad being a transmission mechanic himself but this machine has me whipped. I can get the real drive belt off have several times. The pain in the arse is the front drive belt which has to come off same way same place which I can barely I mean barely get it off even though its worn down thin. Ther is no way the new belt will go back. I have loosened everthing I can loosen that should help with brakes on whatever.That swivel pully somehow needs to move but I cannot get it to budge to slide the belt back on. Any advice more that welcome as I said about there is no center plate to remove to access above which was a stupid thing to do. Model no, is 13AL452F120

tk1251k

Threads
Old one off and new one on good and bad I re injured my rotator cuff bad but the damn thing is on. Oh yeah I did learn a trick and now I can chnage in 15 minutes without having a center console to remove but I am keeping it to myself since I got only 1 response from here. smh

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That’s not how a forum works. If you have a way to do things easier, a good member will pass it along. We all can learn something new, even the techs. Just because you got only one response doesn’t mean that other didn’t look at the problem, just that they didn’t have a better reply which could have confused everyone. Your decision will not help you around here if you have another problem. Your choice.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And another thing you didn't post the model number until Monday therefore those that have our own shops may have been busy ourselves. I know I am. only stopped currently due to rain out.

tk1251k

Threads
And another thing you didn't post the model number until Monday therefore those that have our own shops may have been busy ourselves. I know I am. only stopped currently due to rain out.
Thanks for the response I totally understand.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You agree with the replies but still won’t post your trick. Got me confused?????

tk1251k

Threads
You agree with the replies but still won’t post your trick. Got me confused?????
Here goes .The old one was worn down enough to remove and not so bad. THis is wintout have the center console panel to remove. Insturtions were vague with the mowere as usual. This is just for the lower front drive belt only but the rear has to be removed also and its easy as the instructions with the mower say to do. Front driove belt apply brakes remove guard around engine pulley 4 screws two each side of frame and remove belt from pulley. To remove from swivel variable speed pulley. i too off the nut 9/16 holding the pulley on . Instructions say to loosen but that does not work or didnt for me I took it off nothing will fall off.Pull the pulley assembly down as far as needed to rmeove past belt guide The outide belt guide is stationary and cannot be moved. Remove the belt from the right side of pulley to give more room to remove the belt and gives more slack. To finish removing the the belt this is the hard part or was for me. Push the pully up left hand and same time push up the top half of the pulley to get more room to barely slide between the top part of of the bolt holding the pulley on you will see that when removing the belt. Taking off was not that bad after getting the hang of it. Push the belt over the top of the pulley the tae it off from the front no need to remove engine pulley at all. Install in reverse and just put the side on where the pulley is first to get that slack. Hope this helps it was a pain but lessons learned.It would be 10 times easier had they put that access panel from above. I did not post anyhtin gabout removing the rear belt but it is pretty simplified.