1995 Murray Lawn Tractor

stihlman

Threads
Hi

Can anyone recall how to make repairs to the controls. I just need to figure out how to replace the key switch. This one has a plastic plate over the top of the tower and the steering wheel and some kinda level is at the center. It has a tuff piece of accordion plastic that surrounds the steering wheel base and I pushed it down and saw a bolt with a nut that looks like it is holding the wheel on the column. I am afraid I will destroy that plastic collar by pushing down on it to get to the bolt. There were no screws on the sides only about 4-5 screws on top of the black plastic plate and after removing them it would not lift high enough to get to the key switch. I lifted the hood and did not see and way to remove the gas tank to get to it from under it. I started to try harder and thought better of it and decided to seek information.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

100 td

Threads
Mine was a couple years later, but I think the center cap popped out of the wheel to get at the bolt. And I think the gas tank came out, put your model in one of the online parts lookup places and you will be able to see the parts layout which should help.

stihlman

Threads
Mine was a couple years later, but I think the center cap popped out of the wheel to get at the bolt. And I think the gas tank came out, put your model in one of the online parts lookup places and you will be able to see the parts layout which should help.
Thanks I have done that. The center cap pops out but no fasteners are below it. The gas tank has no visible fasteners under, behind or beside it. I looked closely at all angles that is why I asked for help. The only fasteners are mentioned in my post. The parts diagram is not detailed enough to show how to remove ant
y of the needed components. It has me stumped. It must be that bolt I mentioned because that is the only fastener that could do it. As I write this I guess i answered my own question. Hopefully removing the bolt will alow me to lift the steering wheel which will allow me to remove the steering post bellows I mentioned which should allow the black flat piece of plastic to be removed which should give me access. There must be screws on the back side of the gas tank, that might show on a parts diagram and give me confidence that I am going in the right direction.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some Murrays used a captive system to hold the gas tank and operator tower has to be partially disassemble to remove and replace the gas tank.