Repairs 1995 MTD (ACE Hardware brand) no start - no noise

Dave@4872

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 1995 MTD (ACE Hardware brand) no start - no noise
Last week I was driving my lawn tractor up a ramp to a trailer when it came of the ramp and was tilted about 45 degrees for around 3 minutes. It did not start after getting is off the trailer. I replaced the selenoid, fuse, and plug. After checking all electrical connections, it started. Today, it won't start again. This time only a click or two coming from the selenoid...sometimes nothing. All electrical connections appear good. Battery tests good - again, fuse and selenoid are new. Any thing else I should try looking for? Magneto? Starter? Ignition circuit? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF....
It is not unusual for battery connections to become less than perfect..
Remove and clean both batter cables, (BOTH ends).
Check the voltage you get on the Small terminal of the starter solenoid (WHILE holding the Key Switch to Start). it should be a full 12 volts from the key to the solenoid small terminal. :smile:KennyV

Dave@4872

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Kenny. I removed the battery cables, brushed them (although they didn't seem to be too bad), removed a washer that was between the black cable and battery post, and the thing started perfectly. Thanks again! :smile: