1991 GH 721D Trans output shaft?

Rufustoad

Forum Newbie
Well I have read through some of your posts and it looks like there are quite a few GH guys here so I am giving it a shot:) I was mowing yesterday and noticed that my right steer quit right steering and I looked down only to see the tire at a 45* angle (not good). I pulled the brake off and removed the assy only to find a broken trans output shaft:thumbdown: and by the looks of the rust trail it has been cracked for sometime. So I have seen a few breakdowns on the net and I think I could replace the shaft or reweld the shaft but was wondering how difficult it was to remove it from the transmission? Does anyone know where I could find just a shaft for this? I will post some photo's later today or tomorrow!
 

Thanks Mark. I am trying to post a few pics and was wondering if the shaft presses off the bearing before removed from the housing? If you see pic 3 the shaft only comes out so far than it stops and I do not want to force it. I thought if I pressed off the bearing then the shaft would slide out the reverse way with no trouble? Does anyone sell this shaft or will I need to repair this one? Sorry for all the questions:).
 

Attachments

  • lawn shaft 1.jpg
    lawn shaft 1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 11
  • lawn shaft 2.jpg
    lawn shaft 2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
  • lawn shaft 3.jpg
    lawn shaft 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9
Absolutely, replace the shaft and bearing. Make sure snap rings are not installed either side of bearing. Safety first, wear safety glasses and press shaft through bearing if you have a press, if not take to machine or auto shop that has a press.
 
Absolutely, replace the shaft and bearing. Make sure snap rings are not installed either side of bearing. Safety first, wear safety glasses and press shaft through bearing if you have a press, if not take to machine or auto shop that has a press.

THanks Mark, I sure hate to sound like an idiot but where in the world would I find either the shaft or the bearing??
 
I thought I would show what I had to do with my mower. I wound up putting both ends of the shaft on the lathe and boring a 3/8 hole for a pin to align both halves before welding them together. I came across a problem and left the trans open when I removed the shaft and now all the hydro fluid has leaked out:( That was a dumb mistake but I saved myself a grand by welding this shaft back together. Does anyone have good specs for the Hydro fluid other than grasshoppers $30 a quart that is made by someone else?? I am guessing I lost 1gal so if you have a suggestion PLEASE let me know!!
 

Attachments

  • Grasshopper shaft 2.jpg
    Grasshopper shaft 2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Grasshopper shaft.jpg
    Grasshopper shaft.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top