1988 B&S 2HP Parts Availability

lrjammie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking at buying a McLane edger with a B&S 2HP engine on it and was wondering about service parts availability. Also would most major repair parts be available as well. Or would it be better to stay away from something this old. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input. Thanks again.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You won't find much parts support but don't leave gas in it and rust up the tank and keep oil in it and it will last forever. The foam air filters are still available. I have a john deere brand edger from the 70's with a 2hp briggs. Gets used a couple times a year. Just dump out the gas till the next use and it works fine. Been doing that for 20 years with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most engine parts are available, but you’ll have to do a little searching for some of the non wear parts. I would be more concerned about the condition of the edger spindle, bearings and bearing housing. Many times the spindles are worn and/or the bearing housing is washed out.

lrjammie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I should have added the Model number 60102 and the Code 88032203 (not sure of last digit) and Type 1304 01
You won't find much parts support but don't leave gas in it and rust up the tank and keep oil in it and it will last forever. The foam air filters are still available. I have a john deere brand edger from the 70's with a 2hp briggs. Gets used a couple times a year. Just dump out the gas till the next use and it works fine. Been doing that for 20 years with it.

lrjammie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for the comments. Can you detect worn edger spindle, bearings or bearing housing by simply pushing or pulling on the shaft?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, any play means wear. A good unit will have everything tight.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Murray / Craftsman edger of that era and the quill is NLA. When they break they can be welded a couple times, but finding a new one or even a good used one is like searching for unobtainium. The McLane quill is similar. Personally I would get the model number and serial number, then do a search for the manual, and next search for some common parts to see what is out there. Even the factory style blades on some of these things are hard to come by at reasonable prices.