Export thread

1980 Lawn-Boy Starter Spring Replacement

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

Any tips and/or advice regarding changing-out a busted starter spring (clock spring that doesn't return the starter cord)? I have the new Stens part and the starter completely apart and clean, but just leary of busting into the spring package and removing the 4 (90 degrees around) coil ties. Thanks, Rocky

R

Rivets

Since you don’t give us the model and serial numbers of the unit, I’m taking a guess that you have a vertical pull starter. This manual may help, but if I’m wrong post your units numbers. https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball28.pdf

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

Since you don’t give us the model and serial numbers of the unit, I’m taking a guess that you have a vertical pull starter. This manual may help, but if I’m wrong post your units numbers. https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball28.pdf
Rivets,
Thanks for the reply and attached manual. My 1980 Utility model is a vertical pull, but more of the F-300 motor type starter, a little different than your attached manual. I'm wondering if I can install the coil "pack" pre-wound or must I break the packaging "ties" and completely unwind the spring from its coil to wrap as per your manual pics? I think my manual has a good section on rope replacement, but minimal, if any, on spring replacement.
Rocky

R

Rivets

Sorry it didn’t help. You didn’t post any numbers so I’m at a loss as to exactly which engine you have. Because I’ve not worked on these older units in a long time, and my memory isn’t as good as it was, I can’t help with your exact question. This manual covers more of the unit, but at 600+ pages it is difficult to wade through, but might help you. https://dokumen.tips/documents/26622228-lawn-boy-service-manual-1950-88-complete.html?page=1

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

Rivets,
I checked the mower (model 4502) manual and found nothing on spring replacement. Re: the replacement spring package and my question (for all folks) is how these nylon wire ties can help in the installation?

R

Rivets

I doubt that the ties have anything to do with installation, just think they help with packaging. The starter for you F-series engine is the same as the D-series, so you can use the instructions I attached.

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

So, open the package and carefully cut all nylon wire ties and let the spring unreel (in a somewhat controlled fashion w/safety glasses). Then anchor the curled spring end and start wrapping, ending with the "Z"-bent end out through the metal tin closure of the starter. Use grease on the spring? Anything else (anybody out there)?

R

Rivets

NO grease, will attract dirt.

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

Sounds good, thanks Rivets.

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

I was able to successfully replace my LB starter spring this past weekend due to much advice from RIvets. Thank you. A Teflon(r) spray dry lubricant was used on the spring before the wind-up into the metal tin. Everything now works as it should, and I believe it is important for posters to publish their conclusions so as others can pick-up some key learnings.
Now on to resourcing the ideal modern/synthetic 2-cycle oil due to LB oil being fairly rare.
Rocky

R

Rivets

I’ve switched to Opti-2 for all my 2-cycle equipment with absolutely no problems.

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

I’ve switched to Opti-2 for all my 2-cycle equipment with absolutely no problems.
Rivets,
For Opti-2, how many oz. per gallon for my 1980 LB?
Thanks!

R

Rivets

One package to one gallon of gas.

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

The reason I ask is .........my original user's manual states "one LB can of oil (8 ozs.) per 2 gallons, OR 8 ozs. of non-LB oil per 1 gallon". The problem is these newer synthetic oils are light years better than the old 1980's LB oil I'm sure. I value your opinion re: this question.
Rocky

R

Rivets

L

Lawn-Boy Rocky

Thank you, looks like Opti2 is the answer.
Rivets, I appreciate all your help.
Rocky

I

intruder1500

I was able to successfully replace my LB starter spring this past weekend due to much advice from RIvets. Thank you. A Teflon(r) spray dry lubricant was used on the spring before the wind-up into the metal tin. Everything now works as it should, and I believe it is important for posters to publish their conclusions so as others can pick-up some key learnings.
Now on to resourcing the ideal modern/synthetic 2-cycle oil due to LB oil being fairly rare.
Rocky
Here's what I use for my 10525's.