1980 Lawn-Boy Starter Spring Replacement

Threads
Any tips and/or advice regarding changing-out a busted starter spring (clock spring that doesn't return the starter cord)? I have the new Stens part and the starter completely apart and clean, but just leary of busting into the spring package and removing the 4 (90 degrees around) coil ties. Thanks, Rocky

Threads
Since you don’t give us the model and serial numbers of the unit, I’m taking a guess that you have a vertical pull starter. This manual may help, but if I’m wrong post your units numbers. https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball28.pdf
Rivets,
Thanks for the reply and attached manual. My 1980 Utility model is a vertical pull, but more of the F-300 motor type starter, a little different than your attached manual. I'm wondering if I can install the coil "pack" pre-wound or must I break the packaging "ties" and completely unwind the spring from its coil to wrap as per your manual pics? I think my manual has a good section on rope replacement, but minimal, if any, on spring replacement.
Rocky

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry it didn’t help. You didn’t post any numbers so I’m at a loss as to exactly which engine you have. Because I’ve not worked on these older units in a long time, and my memory isn’t as good as it was, I can’t help with your exact question. This manual covers more of the unit, but at 600+ pages it is difficult to wade through, but might help you. https://dokumen.tips/documents/26622228-lawn-boy-service-manual-1950-88-complete.html?page=1

Threads
Rivets,
I checked the mower (model 4502) manual and found nothing on spring replacement. Re: the replacement spring package and my question (for all folks) is how these nylon wire ties can help in the installation?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I doubt that the ties have anything to do with installation, just think they help with packaging. The starter for you F-series engine is the same as the D-series, so you can use the instructions I attached.

Threads
So, open the package and carefully cut all nylon wire ties and let the spring unreel (in a somewhat controlled fashion w/safety glasses). Then anchor the curled spring end and start wrapping, ending with the "Z"-bent end out through the metal tin closure of the starter. Use grease on the spring? Anything else (anybody out there)?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO grease, will attract dirt.

Threads
I was able to successfully replace my LB starter spring this past weekend due to much advice from RIvets. Thank you. A Teflon(r) spray dry lubricant was used on the spring before the wind-up into the metal tin. Everything now works as it should, and I believe it is important for posters to publish their conclusions so as others can pick-up some key learnings.
Now on to resourcing the ideal modern/synthetic 2-cycle oil due to LB oil being fairly rare.
Rocky