1972 Huffy Sheraton riding lawn mower. Anyone know belt part number or size?

Huffy Dude

Threads
  • / 1972 Huffy Sheraton riding lawn mower. Anyone know belt part number or size?
(Not my pic.) Parents bought 1972 Huffy Sheraton riding lawn mower new...and I've been cutting their lawn for past 40yrs. Anyone know what size belts this thing takes? Having heck of a time finding correct belts as I've tried different sizes over the years. I don't have manual (and probably part numbers aren't even in manual). I replace blade belt 3/8"x24" and drive belt 3/8"x28" belts every year, sometimes twice a year. These belts seem like the correct size but I remember them being thicker, like 7/16". However 2 repair shops says they don't make 7/16" and I can't find them on the interweb, so I have to go with 3/8". I used to beat the heck out of this thing when I was a kid, so it rattles, vibrates etc. Now i'm just trying to keep it going until they sell the house (in probably 5yrs). Next time they go bad, I bought a metric 10mm X 710mm belt for the drive belt....think I should try it?

Attachments

• 0_0_3955_4705.jpg
    0_0_3955_4705.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 1972 Huffy Sheraton riding lawn mower. Anyone know belt part number or size?
The only thing I could find about your unit is that it’s drive belt is 1/2” X 29”.

Huffy Dude

Threads
The guide pin and edge of tension pulley shredded the larger 1/2" belt. (see 3rd pic red belt) So instead of 1/2" or even 3/8" belts, I'm going to try a 10mm x 710mm belt. (I installed it but don't need to cut anything yet) . The new black belt I just put on still touches the guide pin (see 1st pic) and rides close to edge of tension pulley..... but it fits much better than the 1/2". I did notice the springs have a lot to do with correct tension as well as relieving pressure on the belt, so I replaced those. Hopefully, that will give me a little bit more time?

This whole mower is so old and out of wack, nothing really fits correctly anymore, but I thank you for trying to help. Anyone else can post if they have any ideas (other than buying a new mower, which we all know, new mowers from any asian country only lasts 5yrsIMG_E3600.JPGIMG_E3607.JPGIMG_E3609.JPG)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take it back under warranty. Mowers back then probably had a lifetime warranty. And tell them to stop price gouging LOL. Awesome ad picture.

Man that thing loves belts. Might take some string and place it where the belt goes checking for length.

The first pic, to me, the pulleys are worn out. Belt is riding inside the V too much. OR the belt width is too narrow on current belt as Rivets was hitting on. Sure looks like the belt is too narrow.

That guide pin is there for a reason. Strange as there is an idler a few inches down the way. Wondering if you could delete the pin and see how it goes? Always put it back on later.

I would pass on a metric belt on that USA made manly machine. Kind of sacrilegious.

See how wide that idler is and that skinny belt?

Bottom right pic, that belt is also too narrow. It's running at the top of the V on the belt shredding it.

slomo