18 HP Briggs & Stratton I/C Series, how to adjust?

balooba

Threads
Hello!

I need step-by-step advice and instructions to get my trusty old Briggs & Startton, Twin engine (18 HP Briggs & Stratton I/C Series), boxer run better.
Now it starts okay but runs just on choke, lazy etc. Not okay.
ALL advice to normalise the engine setups are welcome!

This engine is old, fixed and run. It starts. But, my quess is that I could get more power from it.
What should I do? I do not have the slightest clue how to adjust the carburetor, governer, throttle etc.

Thanks in advance!
All ideas very welcome!

IMG_4663.JPG

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post or picture all engine #'s, thanks Mark

balooba

Threads
Post or picture all engine #'s, thanks Mark
I couldn't find engines serial number. I have to look closer, no idea where the number is.
My guess is that the engine is this >> Briggs & Stratton 422437.
Gasoline, 2-cylinder, air-cooled horizontal-shaft, 693 cc / 42.3 ci, 13.4 kW / 18 hp.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like you have several items that require battery power. Hope the battery stays charged up.

What is that hose with the blue tape on it?

If it were mine, I would install better battery terminals. Those friction connections on soft copper are not optimum.

balooba

Threads
Looks like you have several items that require battery power. Hope the battery stays charged up.

What is that hose with the blue tape on it?

If it were mine, I would install better battery terminals. Those friction connections on soft copper are not optimum.
I think the electrics are fine and works. I think I have some problem with the fuel, carburetion.
The hose with blue tape is the fuel hose. I wrapped the fuel filter with (blue) tape, I suspected a leak...

I try to read the manual (link above) and found this:

Check Carburetion
Before making a carburetion check, be sure the fuel tank has an ample supply of fresh, clean gasoline. Be sure that the shut-off valve, when equipped, is open and fuel flows freely through the fuel line. Inspect and adjust the needle valves. Check to see that the choke closes completely. If engine will not start, remove and inspect the spark plugs.

If plugs are wet, look for –
1. Over-choking
2. Excessively rich fuel mixture

a. See Section 3 for adjustment procedure. 3. Water in fuel
4. Float needle valve stuck open

If plugs are dry, look for –

1. Leaking carburetor mounting gaskets
  2. Gummy or dirty carburetor
  3. Float needle valve stuck shut
  4. Inoperative fuel pump
  5. Defective anti-afterfire solenoid or wiring.
A simple check to determine if the fuel is getting to the combustion chamber through the carburetor is to remove either spark plug and pour a small quantity of gasoline through the spark plug hole. Replace the plug. If the engine fires a few times and then stops, look for the same conditions as for a dry plug.

Have to check that, I guess...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The hose with blue tape is the fuel hose. I wrapped the fuel filter with (blue) tape, I suspected a leak...
Okay.......... You mean like this?
1682714156747.png
1682714504180.png
1682714518900.png
1682714542219.png

balooba

Threads

Okay... I did not know that's possible. Propably that's going to happen here. Thanks for the alert.
(I taped the filter because I suspected air leakin into the fuel...)

Darn busy here, but I think I found from the manual (link above) some basic adjustments for the carburetor. I'll start with that and try to document it for some questions. Be prepared.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another, I always let mowers cool off prior to putting back in the garage.

I have so many unleaded, Diesel and 2 stroke mix cans in the garage. Just added 2 smoke alarms in the garage. One above the fuel cans and one in the HVAC hot water tank closet. Found some cheap smoke alarms at Home Cheapo for like 7 bucks a piece. Made by Kidde as well.