17AFCACT010 Hydro

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking for advice on how to diagnose this RH hydro.

When I push the handle forward or backwards, it doesn't do anything, except whines a lot. It sounds like it's locked up. The other side does perfect.
The belt could be a little loose, but since there's only one belt, I'm pretty sure it's not that.

What are the things I should check?
So far, about the only thing I've checked is to see if the neutral switch was not engaged. It's not binding on anything. When you push/pull the handle, there's no movement at all. Unloading it, with the neutral switched pulled out and locked into place, the hydro was locked up. Like the neutral switch wasn't pulled out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of those units have parking brakes on them. Is the brake releasing on that hydro.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is locked up with the bypass engaged and the brake is not stuck then something broke inside. If it whines then the belt is turning the pump so either motor is locked or something broke in the gear train. If you are adventurous here is the parts list for it i think. If not google can correct me.
Cracking a hydro usually gets expensive for the customer and if you put it together and something is wrong you get to eat the do over. Most shops won't crack a hydro but rather just replace. Time, parts and warranty makes it more economical for them to replace. I won't crack a homeowner grade Z hydro unless the cust is willing to pay for a maybe fix. With the cost of a new hydro most just junk it and get a new mower. Commercial mowers are a different matter.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of those units have parking brakes on them. Is the brake releasing on that hydro.

The park brakes are the arms themselves, pushed all the way out.
Seeing as there's no movement at all, in forward or reverse, the brakes would have to be extremely locked.
Example: On my pick up, when I have the emergency brake on, with it in gear, if I mash the gad a little, the truck still moves.

One thing I noticed yesterday when trying to push the mower to one side of the shop ( to make room to walk by) when I slid the back end of the mower over, no sound was made. But when I pushed the front end of the mower over, the wheel didn't turn, but there was a clicking noise.
I couldn't tell if it was coming from the right or left side.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
PT it looks like the parking brakes are a cog type located toward the center of the mower. The levers pushed inward should move a tooth type strap to release the cog disc. If that doesn't release it won't move. the clicking was probably one of the brakes slipping or not totally released and jumping cog teeth.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
PT it looks like the parking brakes are a cog type located toward the center of the mower. The levers pushed inward should move a tooth type strap to release the cog disc. If that doesn't release it won't move. the clicking was probably one of the brakes slipping or not totally released and jumping cog teeth.

You're a genius man. The arm connects to a cable that was froze up, not allowing the brake to release. I just had to pull on the brake itself to free it up.
Afterwards, I sprayed some grafite down through the metal tubing that the cable slides through, and that helped a lot. I sprayed some more, then blew it with the air several times, until it ran out the bottom. Now she's free as a bird.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
PT every once in a while I throw something out there and it sticks. Glad I could be of assistance.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
PT every once in a while I throw something out there and it sticks. Glad I could be of assistance.

Man, that stuck all over it. Customer thought I was a genius. LMAO.. Little does he know I'm a 5 on my best days. :rolleyes:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am lucky to be a 5 occasionally. Some folks think i am smart but not really. I just have good google foo. Without google and Utube university i am dumb as a post.