17 HP ENGINE AND I CAN'T GET ANY SPARK. WILL NOT TURN OVER WITH KEY. JUMPED IT FROM BATTERY TO STARTER TO TURN IT OVER.

KIRNY

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 17 HP ENGINE AND I CAN'T GET ANY SPARK. WILL NOT TURN OVER WITH KEY. JUMPED IT FROM BATTERY TO STARTER TO TURN IT OVER.
I WAS GIVEN A TROY BILT LAWN MOWER WITH A 42 INCH DECK. IT RAN BUT JUST QUIT ACCORDING TO THE OWNER. CAN'T START IT WITH THE SWITCH DON'T GET ANY CLICK JUST DEAD. JUMPED IT FROM BATTERY TO STARTER TO TURN IT OVER SO I COULD CHECK THE SPARK. NO SPARK SHOWED ON MY TESTER. FUEL IS FRESH AND IT RAN JUST 3 WEEKS AGO. I'M LOST ON WHAT TO DO.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 17 HP ENGINE AND I CAN'T GET ANY SPARK. WILL NOT TURN OVER WITH KEY. JUMPED IT FROM BATTERY TO STARTER TO TURN IT OVER.
Find the fuse and replace it
Remove the blower housing, remove the kill wire on the coil and spin the motor while checking foe a spark
if you get one with the wire removed ans don't get one with the wire attached ( Parking brake on & Blades off ) then you have a safety circuit problem .
Check the trigger wire at the starting solenoid.
With the parking brake on & Blades off you should get battery voltage on the trigger wire with the key in the S position.

I would have loved to have told you where these bits are and what colour the wires are but there are 142 variations of a Troy-bilt that could have been fitted with a 42" deck and no one but you knows which one you have

Mower King

Threads
After doing what BertsM suggested...I would start testing all the interlock safety switches, then the ignition switch and trace the 12v there if you have it.

KIRNY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Find the fuse and replace it
Remove the blower housing, remove the kill wire on the coil and spin the motor while checking foe a spark
if you get one with the wire removed ans don't get one with the wire attached ( Parking brake on & Blades off ) then you have a safety circuit problem .
Check the trigger wire at the starting solenoid.
With the parking brake on & Blades off you should get battery voltage on the trigger wire with the key in the S position.

I would have loved to have told you where these bits are and what colour the wires are but there are 142 variations of a Troy-bilt that could have been fitted with a 42" deck and no one but you knows which one you have
It's a Bronco if that helps any?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
As the guys said, but all the safeties narrow down to a ground connection to the coil. This coil is self powered, no battery voltage needed. Get the black (?) ground wire off the coil and jump the starter. If it runs then start backtracking to find the culprit.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Simce it was just given to you, the previous owner may have tried a new keyswitch, and it may be the incorrect one, as that is a common occurance. Take off the keyswitch and take a pic of the back of it, and post it here. Also find the tag behind or ymder the seat, and post the model numbers.