16.5hp Briggs thread fix?

dgianino

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings all,
I have a 16.5hp single cylinder OHV Briggs engine. I accidentally stripped 2 of the threads when reattaching the oil pan to the rest of the block (all aluminum). One of the threads has cracked, exposing the bolt to the engine's oil, and essentially a hole in the compression. Is there a fix for this? There is about a half inch of thread space left for a repair insert. I was thinking, just use the repair insert and RTV around the bolt and torque it down to spec. Any other, more better, ideas? I can't just replace the block.
Thanks a bunch,
Dom

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a weld , drill then retap fix
Nothing else will hold for very long .

Bertrrr

Threads
Lock tite makes a thread insert , it comes with the tap and drill bit - it's a touchy situation there b/c you have very little to work with - if your careful and drill and tap , insert the thread insert very carefully then use JB weld or something like it ( Belzona ) comes to mind if you can find it- build everything up around the newly installed thread insert and let sit for 24 hrs. You may have a shot at saving this thing. Do not tighten more than necessary - don't know if it will hold torque but shouldn't take much to snug it up .
Good luck with this guy.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Bert, only real fix is to weld and retap. Anything else won’t last long and not worth the effort or expense.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
JB Weld will not hold at 18.34 ft-lbs. Take it to a local welder and see if he can TIG weld the area up so you can drill and re-tap it. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money. Besides you are going about 5/8 of threads or better for a good hold at 18.34 ft-lbs