16.5 Briggs won't start

slick49

Threads
If you try to start it, it will bump and kick back (counterclockwise) a bit. If you continue to bump it, it will kick back enough (180 degrees) and it will fire right up.

If the first time I try and it just bumps, I can open the hood and rotate it by hand counterclockwise about 180 degrees and it fires right up.

I have replaced the Starter, Solenoid and Battery but has not fixed it.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you~~~~~~~Ron

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Assuming OHV single cylinder engine. You need to adjust the valves. Remove the valve cover and the spark plug. rotate the engine to where the piston is on TDC and both valves are closed, the turn just a little further past TDC, they claim where the piston moves back down 1/4 inch. If one of the valves is open, then rotate the engine a complete revolution, and then set as above. Adjust the intake to .004-.006 and the exhaust to .005-.007 keeping in mind that the intake valve is the bottom valve. after comfirming the correct adjustments reistall the valve cover and see if it will start then.

slick49

Threads
Assuming OHV single cylinder engine. You need to adjust the valves. Remove the valve cover and the spark plug. rotate the engine to where the piston is on TDC and both valves are closed, the turn just a little further past TDC, they claim where the piston moves back down 1/4 inch. If one of the valves is open, then rotate the engine a complete revolution, and then set as above. Adjust the intake to .004-.006 and the exhaust to .005-.007 keeping in mind that the intake valve is the bottom valve. after comfirming the correct adjustments reistall the valve cover and see if it will start then.

Yes it is a single cylinder OHV. I'll do that and post the results. Thank you for your input~~~~~~~Ron:thumbsup:

slick49

Threads

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I posted the chart, because none of us knew your model numbers, and I knew that the gaps were different, depending on the model numbers, which you choose to believe, well, that is totally up to you.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is only a couple of members here that consider their advice as "Gospel", but they must be "feeding the masses" on some other threads today...... I always try to provide links to info if I can, but then again, everything you read on the web is not always correct either.....

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At one time is was .004-.006 for all their OHV engines. Then they decided part of the kickback/adjustment issue was the result of the gap being to wide, so they changed it to .003-.005 on the intake, but left the exhaust at .004-.006. Then as new models came out they new spec called for a .005-.007 on the exhaust. So basically if you set the intake at .004 and the exhaust at .006 you will cover all the larger OHV specs.