16-44 TORO WHEELHORSE TRANSMISSION GOING OUT?Maybe?

borninabarn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 16-44 TORO WHEELHORSE TRANSMISSION GOING OUT?Maybe?
Hello All,
Welp here is my first post! Hope there are some good answers coming other than get rid of it.
I have a 16-44 HXL TORO Wheelhorse Model#71196 that the engine runs perfect and the mower looks like new.I think the rear end or Hydro is going out? I live in small town Iowa and can mow my 1/4 block yard with out any problems with the hydro tranny But if I go to the shed and start it up and drive it 2 blocks to the gas station it starts to slow down before I make it to get gas AND THEN I start it up leave the gas station drive area and have engine running full before it chokes and now the mower is moving slower and slower then it like locks up squeaking till it stops.I shut the mower off sit for 3-4 minutes and it starts moving again slow then locks up again It does this all the way back to my house.I talked to a Toro dealer about maybe changing the fluid out in the Hydro or something and he said no dont mess with it? If any of you have run into this problem or know for sure whats going on it would be of Great Help! I want it to work again like it should.Thank You In Advance! Born

Last edited:

borninabarn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello? Is there anyone on this forum that can help? Does anyone know what fluid to put in the hydro for the 16-44??

snapsstorer

Threads
if you have the manual, it will tell you how to check the oil level in it. i have been told by countless mech's for all the brands to use a 10W oil in it. hope this does help somewhat

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time you replaced the drive belt and checked the idler tension pulleys? I would start there. Idler pulley may be worn or bearing starting to wobble, which would freeze up with heat, causing the screeching sound. If it has been more than three years, I would replace them both.