14hp briggs

Mwh0428

Well-Known Member
I have a 14 hp Briggs and Stratton engine that I took of a newer simplicity and put on a Murray and It started smoking really bad and then it died I replaced the coil pack and vacuum powered fuel pump and it runs but burns oil. Then I bought a new oil filter and put that on after draining all the old oil and the old oil was as runny and smelt like gasoline is this an issue that can be fixed or should I just send the motor to the scrap yard
 
Sounds like the carb needs cleaning/ rebuilding, if you have gas in the oil it would appear the carb is flooding when hot running, which allows the gas to fill the intake and run into the cly which dilutes the oil allowing it to get past the rings and then the smoke. How did it run after the oil change?? if my thoughts are correct it probably smoked for a minute or two then cleared up. if so do the carb, and install a fuel shut off valve in the fuel line which will prevent the same problem in the future, just shut the fuel off when done using it and run it until it dies , no gas in carb it can't flood.
 
It would still smoke a little bit after the oil change and continues to smoke. I think that the rings are not the best though but I know the oil should not be as runny as gas I will shut the fuel off tomorrow morning and check the oil
 
would still smoke a little bit after the oil change and continues to smoke. I think that the rings are not the best though but I know the oil should not be as runny as gas I will shut the fuel off tomorrow morning and check the oil
 
If you have fuel in the crankcase you need 1. Fuel shut off knob 2. Carb clean rebuild . Keep all carbs empty of gasoline when not in use !
 
Ok. I went and turned it over this morning and I hit my starter button and nothing I hand pushed the cover for the flywheel and it started to crank. should I be worried?
 
Ok. I went and turned it over this morning and I hit my starter button and nothing I hand pushed the cover for the flywheel and it started to crank. should I be worried?

You may just be having a electrical problem? I sure would check that first. Just how long and hard did you run this mower with the gas in the oil? If just for a minute or so it should not of done any damage. I would just try a heavier weight oil and see what happens. It looks like you are going to need some carburetor work to prevent this from happening the future.
 
But I could nearly turn the flywheel by hand and I can turn no prob on any other motor that we have even my bros twin
 
Back
Top