1361614G401 1996 YARDMAN

upnorth

Threads
I have this Yardman 38" with a 13.5 HP Briggs. I was out mowing a few days ago when everything quit.
I've owned this since 2000 so it was four years old before I bought it from an ACE hardware store.
I've replace two batteries. The carberator solenoid stopped working so I installed a manual cutoff switch in the DC line off the battery. It worked. I have disabled a few of the safety switches and the mower worked great up until last week. Now I'm trying to trouble shoot it.
I press the start safety off the foot pedal and turn the ignition switch to start and I get nothing. I hitched up a meter to the battery and read 12.35 volts. With the switch on START the battery voltage doesn't indicate a discharge at all on the meter. With the solenoid switch ON, the meter also indicates nothing.
I'm going to try to trouble shoot this thing systematically. I'll try a jumper wire from the battery POS to the start solenoid coil lead and see if anything happens. I'll try to jump out the solenoid itself with a heavy gauge wire and see if the engine turns over. If I still get nothing - what do I look for?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are on the right track... somewhere you are loosing power, might be a fuse to the key switch... when you apply power to the starter solenoid you should discover whats up... post back with what you find... :smile:KennyV

upnorth

Threads
You are on the right track... somewhere you are loosing power, might be a fuse to the key switch... when you apply power to the starter solenoid you should discover whats up... post back with what you find... :smile:KennyV

OK major boo-boo I shouldn't even talk about but........."OUT OF GAS"
While I got it apart I checked the carb solenoid. The plunger sucks into the solenoid and spits it out again, so that's ok.
Dismounted the starter solenoid. rust behind it on the bulkhead. Gonna clean it up. Jumper wire from the spade terminal to the BATT POS, frame to NEG. Coil closes the starter solenoid contacts. So either just clean it up or go get another one. The local TRACTOR SUPPLY has MTD parts.
There is a fuse in this machine - 20 amp yellow plastic. That was ok.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK major boo-boo I shouldn't even talk about but........."OUT OF GAS"

It happens...
Think Horses, not Zebras :laughing:...
Looks like a bit of clean up and your ready to go... :smile:KennyV