10hp Briggs on coleman pwrmate generator leaking oil from governor shaft.

oldntired55

Threads
  • / 10hp Briggs on coleman pwrmate generator leaking oil from governor shaft.
at this point , i am thinking i need to split engine / generator and replace worn gov shaft and crankcase. the engine runs great, gen makes power. i realize there is no seal, or o-ring... and the shaft needs to swing freely. any ideas? am i on the right track replacing worn out crank case half? it runs oil out pretty steady... on a 6 or 8 hr power outage, id hate to think just how much oil it could lose.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On most of those engines they didn't run a governor shaft seal because the shaft is normally above the oil level. I would be checking oil level to make sure it is correct. If that engine has one of those low oil caps take on off and see what runs out. Oil level should be just at the top of the threads

oldntired55

Threads
On most of those engines they didn't run a governor shaft seal because the shaft is normally above the oil level. I would be checking oil level to make sure it is correct. If that engine has one of those low oil caps take on off and see what runs out. Oil level should be just at the top of the threads
yes, i have in fact checked the breather for clogs, and drained and refilled crankcase right to top of threads... its a mystery how the oil can be "climbing" that high and running out...im going to do a leak down test on it, to make sure blowby isnt over pressurizing crankcase..ill post results

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is there a lot of side slop in the governor shaft. Even worn sloppy ones normally don't leak much more than a seep.

oldntired55

Threads
Is there a lot of side slop in the governor shaft. Even worn sloppy ones normally don't leak much more than a seep.
yes its quite loose... ive never seen one this loose. maybe it was a poor casting?

oldntired55

Threads
yes its quite loose... ive never seen one this loose. maybe it was a poor casting?
i had an idea how to add an o ring by drilling a recess in crankcase.., but it would require disassembly anyway, so, if im gonna do that... may as well replace worn parts...

oldntired55

Threads
i had an idea how to add an o ring by drilling a recess in crankcase.., but it would require disassembly anyway, so, if im gonna do that... may as well replace worn parts...
i will take a video and see if i can attach it here

oldntired55

Threads
i just want to mention, i am not one to believe a "small leak" is an acceptable one, i have plenty of 8-10 hp engines that leak Zero oil...i need to address this before i use it, or sell it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Governor bushing do wear at times. Just remember when install a new bushing only ream to needed free movement and not to where Briggs service manual specs it at. It been a long time since my last governor bushing replacement. If I remember correctly the new governor would not go into the governor bushing until it is reamed.

But trying to cut a recess for an o-ring is going to weaken the governor shaft bushing mounting as it use the crankcase thickness to support it.