"09 Ryobi trimmer carb question

Mini Motors

Threads
I bought this 2 stroke Ryobi string trimmer w/ electric start in '09. Kinda cool. But I didn't quite get all the fuel out of it last year, and most of you know the drill. But there's a twist.I can't get the carb totally apart. The low and high mix screws are not common screws, and are recessed in a raised up area, so even needle nosed pliers are of no use. As a tool junkie, I've seen plenty of security screws and the tools to match. This is quite simple. The screw is round, with only one small divot on the rim.

Now, I'm not looking for advice on what to do. I've resigned myself to replacing the carb. I've found one fairly cheap online, and considering it a newer superseded part, it may not have the weird screws. Ryobi's comment was that the screws were a result of some EPA B*%$ S@#t, and said they couldn't sell me the tool and my only recourse was an authorized Ryobi dealer. I call B*&l S*&T.

So, my question is has anyone run across this with other brands. I'm trying to figure out if this is real EPA B/S, or Ryobi B/S.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought this 2 stroke Ryobi string trimmer w/ electric start in '09. Kinda cool. But I didn't quite get all the fuel out of it last year, and most of you know the drill. But there's a twist.I can't get the carb totally apart. The low and high mix screws are not common screws, and are recessed in a raised up area, so even needle nosed pliers are of no use. As a tool junkie, I've seen plenty of security screws and the tools to match. This is quite simple. The screw is round, with only one small divot on the rim.

Now, I'm not looking for advice on what to do. I've resigned myself to replacing the carb. I've found one fairly cheap online, and considering it a newer superseded part, it may not have the weird screws. Ryobi's comment was that the screws were a result of some EPA B*%$ S@#t, and said they couldn't sell me the tool and my only recourse was an authorized Ryobi dealer. I call B*&l S*&T.

So, my question is has anyone run across this with other brands. I'm trying to figure out if this is real EPA B/S, or Ryobi B/S.

Yes, that is an EPA approved, politically-correct, non-adjustable carb. But they taunt you with the screws being there..........

My Weed Eater Featherlite has an EPA carb. I had to use a drywall screw to keep the choke on a tad to get it to work. My 2010 Ryobi and my JD-built Homelite are the same. It is truly EPA crap, not Ryobi trying to get you off the phone and spend more. They have to say that stuff, so Big Brother will let them continue selling those awful machines that destroy baby seals (or whatever). REMEMBER: an engine that doesn't run makes no emissions....and THAT is what's important, right? The "emissions"........:rolleyes:

In short: you are f---ed. Sorry.

Last edited:

Mini Motors

Threads
Actually, it just hit me. I'm going to try to cut a slot in the head of each screw with my Dremel.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, it just hit me. I'm going to try to cut a slot in the head of each screw with my Dremel.

I wouldn't. There are no springs to keep the 'adjusters' from walking on you. Once you take them out, you'll be adjusting them every time you start it.

I am no EPA fan - just telling you these are no normal needle screws we are used to........

Just change the carb - and drain the gas good next time. :wink:

Mini Motors

Threads
They clearly look as if they are able to be adjusted, or they wouldn't have the divot in the head. What keeps them from walking now?

Mini Motors

Threads
Okay, just got the new carb. I hope it's adjusted correctly. I'm going to try to find a way to make the old one adjudtable. What do I have to loose? I'll keep y'all posted.

Mini Motors

Threads
Even though this was not a proper advise thread, I feel compelled to update my issue.

So, I came home from dinner to install the new carb. My son had thought it was already done, and actually got it started. Whatever I carb cleaner I had gotten into it must have done the trick after some time, cause it runs just fine now. And I now have an extra carb. It wasn't too expensive, but it will cost me to ship it back. I'll just keep it "in stock".

oldyellr

Threads
Glad it's working now, but when I started reading this thread I began to wonder why you hadn't tried attacking it more aggressively with carb cleaner in the first place. If the mixture screws had not been touched I don't see why they would need adjustment.

Nowadays I Always use good gas and Stabil in the off-season for my motors. However, when I first got my string trimmer, I'd just throw any old left-over 2-stroke mixture in it from my bike, snowmobile or outboard. I'd used some really old outboard gas an the end of one season and found the next spring the trimmer was seized solid. The gas had been loaded with varnish and after I put it away hot, it "epoxied" the piston in the bore. I had to take it apart and soak it in paint and varnish remover for a day before I could pound the piston out.

Mini Motors

Threads
My procedures for cleaning are to unscrew those adjusters to get the passageways clear. And IMO, it wouldn't have taken any time at all for the juice to work if I'd have been able to do that. And I thought I had run it dry.

I was wrong!:confused2: