06 TB Big Red Horse, deck power issues.

molecrusher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Newbie hoping to cash in on the collective wisdom here. My Big Red Horse was running fine when I lost power to the deck. Engine kept running so I drove it into the garage. The 2 year old belt appears to be fine, and the pulleys turn well. After turning the key off, I got no response when trying to restart it. No clicking or anything. A very little bit of research leads me to think it may be the pto power switch( the pull/push type) or hopefully not, the electronic clutch that powers the pto pulley. Can anyone give me some direction ? Is this a common issue with that year tractor? I can turn a wrench fairly well. but do not have a multimeter or testing equipment. Is that something I need before proceeding or replacing parts?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes a multimeter is a valuable tool to have when troubleshooting electrical problems. With key in pocket I would first check ignition switch & PTO switch connections by hand at backside of dash, unplug each one at a time looking for corrosion or rust. You are absolutely correct, locate the problem before replacing parts. I would also look to see if you have an in line fuse blown. I would also check all electrical connections by hand starting with battery. With key in on position do lights come on? If not remove battery & take to auto parts store for load test, this should be of no cost to you. I wear a mask, safety glasses, & neoprene gloves when using cleaner below. Let us know what you find, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

molecrusher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Mark, I'll use your suggestions this weekend and give an update.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To test for continuity all you need is a globe and 2 pieces of wire
I would have been nearly 30 before I got my first meter although I was know to borrow some gear from the lab.
Funny when you think I was working with an electron microscope by day and fixing my bikes with a transistor battery & speedo globe by night .