ZTR Service Interval

Justamowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
What should a non-commercial operator use for service interval on the Scag ZTR ? For example owners manual states replace the oil filter after every 200 hours of operation or every month, whichever occurs first. I'm looking at upgrading from Dixon SpeedZTR 44 to a Tiger Cat 48 or 52 and plan on mowing about 100 hrs per year. Do I really need to change every month or is once a year ok. Thanks for the suggestions.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
What should a non-commercial operator use for service interval on the Scag ZTR ? For example owners manual states replace the oil filter after every 200 hours of operation or every month, whichever occurs first. I'm looking at upgrading from Dixon SpeedZTR 44 to a Tiger Cat 48 or 52 and plan on mowing about 100 hrs per year. Do I really need to change every month or is once a year ok. Thanks for the suggestions.

Once a year after the breakin change will probably be fine keep an eye on it if it starts getting dark or low time for a change

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually put 100-150 hours annually on my Tiger Cub and I change the hydraulic oil and filter in July. Bear in mind that when you remove the hydraulic oil filter, the reservoir will drain out thru the filter adapter, so be prepared to catch about 3 quarts of oil. Install a new filter and refill the reservoir to a comfortable level, start the engine. The system usually self bleeds the air into the reservoir. Then check the oil level and top off to the bottom of the metal tube, and operate the machine for a while and recheck the oil level.
My Hustler X-ONE is different as the hydraulic oil filter is installed into the reservoir which is larger capacity.

Last edited:

Justamowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the answers. I really appreciate the quick replies.

tigercat

Threads
I use mine as a homeowner machine. I grease it once a year. I change engine oil & filter, air filter and sharpen blades once a year. I check hydralic oil to see if it's clean. So far it's ok. Machine is 2 years old. A lot of grease fittings!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next week I'm going to order a 12 pack of new blades as I'm down to three spares with a new set on the machine, With the stuff that gets on the grass from pushing snow onto it, the blades will take a beating before spring cleanup is finished. Every one of my customers places will be a mess from this winter. I have an Oregon blade sharpener but it takes so much time to correctly sharpen blades that I seldom get motivated to sharpen blades. I did replace the fan in the collection blower along with new bearings.
Later
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Service interval on any mower should be done according to how the mower is used. If your only mowing a total of 100 hrs a year I'd change the motor oil and oil filter and gas filter once a year. If you're looking at the Hydro Oil I'd refer to the manual for the interval because that can very depending on the mower, my cub cadat ztr says every 300hrs, the Toro Grandstand has two different time frames depending on the oil used it's either 250hrs for one type or 500hrs for the Toro Hypr-oil and Hydro fluid should be checked at least every 50hrs. I personally change motor oil and filters every 50hrs on all my mowers but I run the things 6 days a week during season and the hydro fluid according to the manual.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I only use small equipment but mowing 40 hrs a week I change oil once a week, air filter once a month and blades twice a year. Belts when they snap(I have spares handy) I like to use them till they are all the way dead.
Manual for my Honda says every 100 hrs but its quite dirty after 40
Manual for my old toro Suzuki says 150 hrs but I change it at 40 most the time it doesn't even look used