ZG222 fuel pump

Woody

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay I'll start with I got the mower running but I was going to share my story because it still has me scratching my head. So a few weeks ago I was cutting grass after about an hour the ZG222 just up and died and would not crank, I used my tractor and drag it to my shop and diagnosed it as the fuel pump I used my meter to ohm it out and then connected a jumper wire straight to the pump and it would not run. So I replaced the pump and both filters and it cranked up. I must have run it for 30 minutes and it quit again could not get it to crank back up so I tested the new fuel pump and it would run when jumped with a wire from the battery. I got the wiring diagram out and found the fuel pump relay was not pulling in and tracing it back further the engine revolution relay was staying energized keeping the fuel relay from energizing so tracing it back further the power to the revolution relay comes from the regulator and when I unplugged the voltage regulator connector the fuel pump came on and the mower cranked as normal and I was able to finish cutting the grass. Now I don't know if I will dig a little deeper or just trickle charge the battery from time to time. :unsure:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fix it proper. Sounds like you can read a schematic. Get her working like new.

lugbolt

Threads
fix it right

see if the regulator is charging properly if it's not find out why

the regulator has several wires, I think 6? 2 of them (same colors) come from the generator, then one is ground, one is ignition (this turns the regulator "on"), and one is the charge wire (usually red). If there's any corrosion in any of the connectors, fix that first. That is not uncommon. Also you will want to do a voltage drop test on the regulator wiring and see if you have good voltage--lots of regulators are replaced because "they aren't working" when in fact the wiring is the real problem.