Zero-turn makes a screeching/clunking noise when blades are disengaged

Ahorn8

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Zero-turn makes a screeching/clunking noise when blades are disengaged
I had been cutting some extremely tall grass with my Bad Boy without any problems. When I finished, I stopped, disengaged the blades and there was a loud screeching/clunking noise as the blades came to a stop. Shut it off - have cleaned everything - no obstructions - looks like all is intact - still makes the same noise but only while disengaging the blades. I've lowered the throttle first and the disengagement button slowly - no change. Seems to mow fine - any suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Electric pto clutch brake making noise when clutch is disengaged. The clunking noise would be a concern if it also involved the clutch. Bearing going back possibly

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It sounds like one of the two PTO clutch bearings is failing to me. The one in the belt pulley but it also can any of the deck related bearings. Pay attention to where it is coming from as it will help you narrow where to look.

Ahorn8

Forum Newbie
Threads
A friend has the same mower - wasn't making a huge sound so when she took it in for servicing they said there was a recall on the bearings and replaced them. I'll be out there soon and upload a short video so perhaps you all can discern more.

bkeller500

Threads
it sounds like a dry bearing to me from your brief description.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
By law a braking system is required. On BadBoy it is in the clutch. The clutch has an anchor to keep the base of clutch from spinning. This anchor is usually a pin on the chassis and a hole in the clutch body. After shut down, the spring tension system can slacken as the belt torque is in reverse of driven torque. Then as the system comes close to rest the spring tension re-takes up the slack in the belt and rocks the clutch and anchor system to the other extreme causing a clunk. All may be ok if all is simply this normal action within the wear of parts. When cutting heavy loads, the clutch itself gets hotter and if people do not slow down and the machine, which BadBoy is, well powered, engine carries the load, speed is possible, clutch gets hot, clutch surfaces wear, belt gets hot and longer, spring tension is less, bearing life gets shorter, etc, Only full inspection of these parts can tell if an issues exists.

STEVES

Threads
Same mower, as in year? Did you check for recall on yours? One of those questions, need to ask. :)~)+