Z225 spring tensioner keeps breaking...help

mphfrom77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a z225 and the spring tensioner on the drivetrain area keeps breaking (drive belt area, not the mower deck area).

In the last 3 months of mowing it has broke 4 times. After the 3rd time I changed both belts (drive and mower), I had thought that had fixed it and then...bam it happened again. I am so frustrated. It is like an $11 dollar part I think.

The mower got worked into the price of my house. It only had like 20-40 hours on it when I took over. It now has like 100 hours I think (I can check but it is close to that number). If I were to guess I think it is maybe 5 years old.

It is a 42" model.

Just a soon as I had really started appreciating this thing, this starts happening.

Does anybody know what could be wrong or has anybody else had this happen?

From what I have gathered, the springs may just be vibrating too much and snaps right at the hook where it attaches to the motor.

My father in-law said he talked to somebody who knows lawn mowers and he said they just are not making springs like they use to and suggested I buy a chain link that has a screw off and to attach the spring using that somehow. Well I bought a couple of those, got to looking at it and probably because none of the ones I came home with seemed to have an appropriate fit I just decided to change out the belts. That worked for a couple mows, but it eventually snapped.

They seem to snap when I am going extremely slow. Like barely creeping along for one reason or another. Like an ever so slight forward movement.

My father in law, who never met anything he can't fix or break, now suggests I should just trade it in on something.

I was kind of blindsided by this suggestion. I completely trust his opinion, but it would normally be something along the lines of fixing it. (He has a commercial Toro btw and has fixed it several times of the years.) And it just wasn't in the upcoming budget, so I am blindsided there (but of course it seems most mower companies do 0%:rolleyes:!)

I have to admit I wouldn't mind having a nicer, more durable mower. I just don't want to pay for it. But if that is the best thing to do, then I guess that is what I should do.

But I was actually liking this Z225. Though it really frustrates me on my hills (the 1.25 acres that I mow slowly slope down 2 different ways to creeks). Maybe I like it so much because it was sort of free. Well that and the fact that it is way easier to use than my Billy Goat finishing mower (like 31-33"...I forget), which is fairly difficult to use 375lb walk behind that you have to muscle to turn (no turn controls).

If I could find an easy fix then I would love to save money and get more use out of this mower.

Otherwise I might see what I can get for it and step up to something nice (most likely a lot nicer if I utilize 0%).

My local dealer is no help...don't think they sell many of these though. They finally managed to pull up a funny fix of taking some in-house oem rubber hose for something else in their fleet. Guess I need to go back and order that part in the meantime.

One of the worst parts is I can't sell this to an individual unless they fully understand the problem. And I'm sure a dealer wouldn't give me much (not sure, what do you guys think they would give me)?

Anyways I would like to see if anybody knows about this issue and can offer any advice?

Thanks.

BBO

Threads
Hi, I have a z225 and the spring tensioner on the drivetrain area keeps breaking (drive belt area, not the mower deck area).

Anyways I would like to see if anybody knows about this issue and can offer any advice?

I would suspect a bent pulley causing abnormal vibration.
What is the S/N of the unit?

mphfrom77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe it is the first series of the z225. I will look it up though and get back with that later today.

BBO

Threads
Yep that is the one.

I would take all these pulleys off and inspect them looking for any bearing noise etc.
That pulley (item 3) is a redesign somehow. The old one may have an integral key-way and it could be worn out.

I would get genuine JD parts only. Belts, pulleys, springs whatever.
If you will replace whatever is causing that vibration the spring issue should be history.

The best way to find any problem for me is to disassemble the parts. Spin every shaft looking and listening for anything loose.
The problem could indeed be on the other end; whatever this belt drives has a problem someplace.

Normally JD has pretty good designs with their springs and tensioner setups.

You could check items 8 and 12. Someone else might know more about this, but I suspect the spring is not supposed to be real tight on this end.
As in "is the spring end here free to move and pivot slightly?" If it's pinched down this might cause breakage:mad:

FWIW the newer serial number Z225's havea totally different setup in this area. This always make me wonder why...
Is this even the same function?
Z225_Springs_New.gif

pile81

Threads
Check the tension arm channel where the spring rests as well, if there is wear in the channel to where it has a sharp edge it could possibly be causing a premature failure.