YTH24K48 w/ Kohler KT735 engine issues.

Parshath

Forum Newbie
Threads
The last few months my mower when the blades are engaged the engine is very noisy especially at full throttle under load and seems to struggle. Sometimes it will smooth out for a few seconds. 75% of the time if I back the throttle to about 80% it runs smooth even under load.

The forum doesn't seem to allow attaching the mp3 audio I recorded.

Basically the noise is smooth, the a lot of engine vibration, almost restricted sounding. Hard to describe.

If I disengage the blades, it runs fine at any throttle setting.

Any idea where to start for troubleshooting?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Take a video and upload it to your google drive and share it here or upload it you Youtube..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
How deep is your grass? to me it sounded to run smooth, however it sounds like it's bogging like it would under a heavy load?

Parshath

Forum Newbie
Threads
How deep is your grass? to me it sounded to run smooth, however it sounds like it's bogging like it would under a heavy load?
Not too long where I was cutting, it'll do it no matter the length, and if I recall, even over the driveway. I'll take a video in the am too.

And why would it not do it at 80% throttle?

Parshath

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not too long where I was cutting, it'll do it no matter the length, and if I recall, even over the driveway. I'll take a video in the am too.

And why would it not do it at 80% throttle?
Here is the video, the sound is a little tougher to hear over video, but the lawn is mowed, so there should be no cause for being under to much load.
You can see how if I choose a lower throttle the engine runs at a normal hum, then upping the throttle it gets noisy.

ccheatha

Threads
Here is the video, the sound is a little tougher to hear over video, but the lawn is mowed, so there should be no cause for being under to much load.
You can see how if I choose a lower throttle the engine runs at a normal hum, then upping the throttle it gets noisy.

Won't say it's the same problem I had, but I remember my YTH20K46 with a Kohler started having the same issue. What it ended up being was that a rod was starting to fail, it eventually broke and cracked the engine wall. This was only a couple years after purchasing the mower. The folks at Husqvarna acknowledged that there was an issue with these engines as they'd had problems with multiple mowers. So they did a short block replacement for me. I paid for parts and they took care of labor. Twas better than no offer of help at all. It's been running fine ever since. I bought it in 2008. I think the incident happened in 2010 or so. When's the last that oil was changed? If you haven't checked it lately, you might want to check it for break-down and so on.

Also, check for belt wear.

Parshath

Forum Newbie
Threads
Won't say it's the same problem I had, but I remember my YTH20K46 with a Kohler started having the same issue. What it ended up being was that a rod was starting to fail, it eventually broke and cracked the engine wall. This was only a couple years after purchasing the mower. The folks at Husqvarna acknowledged that there was an issue with these engines as they'd had problems with multiple mowers. So they did a short block replacement for me. I paid for parts and they took care of labor. Twas better than no offer of help at all. It's been running fine ever since. I bought it in 2008. I think the incident happened in 2010 or so. When's the last that oil was changed? If you haven't checked it lately, you might want to check it for break-down and so on.

Also, check for belt wear.
Oil was changed a couple weeks ago.