Yardmax 170cc Oil overfill

Ctallant

Forum Newbie
Threads
So let me start by saying , I know what I bought lol. I was in a pinch and I needed something fast to take on my 14 acres of South Texas mower killer lol. Anyways the manual is horrible.. said there was no oil in it so I put in about 14oz ( 15oz is the max) and about 30-45 minutes in it's blowing white smoke.. oil overfill.. obviously had some oil in it.. ( I should have checked.. hindsight). Manual also states there is a drain plug.. cannot find one.. so my question is this.. does anyone know if there is actually a drain plug or is this a tip and pour situation like most?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Normally 18-20 ounces. You might of burned the engine up.

What engine does it have?

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
1627677850571.png
Might be a drain plug under neath in the top left corner... i can't tell... if you do anything with your hands under the mower deck please remove the spark plug wire.
or you could tip the mower on it's side and drain it out the dipstick tube. thought it can be a mess... remove the gas cap and place a plastic grocery bag on it and screw the lid back on to prevent fuel leaking.

Born2Mow

Threads
  • I suggest you get one of those engine oil vacuum suckers that they sell at boat places for use on inboard engines. You can suck the oil out of the engine's dipstick hole without having to get on your knees or under the machine. AND, you can visibly see how much oil you took out, thereby indicating approximately how much is safe to put back in.
  • Too much oil can't "blow up an engine". But it can blow the seals out, make lots of smoke, make it hard to start, make it impossible to rev, etc, etc.
  • Change the oil again, and this time obey the dipstick. When the engine is run it will no doubt continue to make lots of smoke for the next 10 minutes or so. That's excess oil in the breather system and possibly the air filter. A paper air filter may need replacement, but for the most part the engine will simply need to run to clean itself.
  • Check the oil level every 10 minutes or so to make sure you're not loosing oil from a blown seal you haven't seen.