Export thread

Yard machine keeps dying.

J

Jdtbolding

Hi I'm at my wits end. I have a yard machine ridding mower with a briggs and stratton model 42a707 14.5 hp. It was left here when I bought my house and ran pretty good for the first year I had it. A month ago I started it an let it run on full throttle. After a few minutes I backed the throttle down to about 50% and it started sputtering, I pushed up the throttle back to 100% and it changed nothing and died. So I decided to change the oil, air filter, fuel filter and plugs. Started it up fine. Started mowing and after about 20 minutes it started sputtering and died and would not start til cool. Researched a little and decided to clean the carburetor and went ahead and changed all the fuel lines. Ran for 15-20 sputtered and died. I'm now at a dead end. Could it be the coil or something else? Any Fred back will be greatly appreciated! Thank u for your time.

R

Rivets

Could be the coil or carb. Have you checked to see if you have spark. If you do, I would give the carb another real good bath.

J

Jdtbolding

Thank you for your reply. I cleaned the carb twice, the second time I soaked it over night and sprayed it out with a air hose. How exactly do I check the coil?

R

Rivets

Remove the spark plug, attach the plug wire, hold it against the block, (insulated pliers or you may get a good jolt) have someone try to start the engine, watch for a spark. Let us know what you see. Try a couple of plugs.

J

Jdtbolding

Thanks ill try that this evening. I forgot to mention that my battery will not stay charged so I'm guessing I need a new stator. Would that make the engine shut off in the middle of mowing? When it cuts off it'll turn over easily until the battery drains so I was guessing it wouldn't have anything to do with it but wanted to mention it.

R

Rivets

If I get a chance later, I'll post a manual which will show you how to test the charging system.

J

Jdtbolding

Ok so I just came home and started the mower. It fired right up after sitting over night let it sit for a minute or two and went about five feet and it died. No sputtering or anything just cut right off and wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs and I'm getting a spark. How strong should the spark be? It has a very light yellow spark. Could it be a safety switch?

I

ILENGINE

Check the pulse line between the fuel pump and the engine block for cracks. Could be a fuel pump problem that quits after it gets some engine heat on it.

R

Rivets

J

Jdtbolding

Check the pulse line between the fuel pump and the engine block for cracks. Could be a fuel pump problem that quits after it gets some engine heat on it.

I have changed the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, filter to the carb, and carb to the block.

J

Jdtbolding

Well tonight I checked the spark again and it seems to have a pretty good spark. I fired it up and it ran good for about 5 minutes and sputtered and cut off. But this time it fired right back up. But when I move the throttle either way it would start to sputter and wouldn't correct it's self.

R

Rivets

IL is talking about checking the pulse line on the pump, not the fuel line. it is the one that goes from the engine to the pump. It does not carry fuel, but alternates vacuum and pressure to operate the pump. If it has a crack, this crack will open up with heat and not allow the pump to operate properly.

J

Jdtbolding

IL is talking about checking the pulse line on the pump, not the fuel line. it is the one that goes from the engine to the pump. It does not carry fuel, but alternates vacuum and pressure to operate the pump. If it has a crack, this crack will open up with heat and not allow the pump to operate properly.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_opposed_twin_carb.asp i replaced a line that is connected to the gold nipple that's between the carb and pump that is pointing down. It's the same size as the fuel lines. Would that be the one you are talking about? The one pointing down in the first picture. The bronze fitting ?

R

Rivets

We assumed you had a remote fuel pump, not a carb mounted pump. Have you rebuilt your pump?

I

ILENGINE

I knew it was a carb mounted pump, and I assumed that he rebuilt the pump when he did the carb kit. Sounds like either the fuel pump is quiting after it gets warm, or there is something floating around inside the carb, acting like a ping pong ball.

J

Jdtbolding

I knew it was a carb mounted pump, and I assumed that he rebuilt the pump when he did the carb kit. Sounds like either the fuel pump is quiting after it gets warm, or there is something floating around inside the carb, acting like a ping pong ball.

I haven't rebuilt either of them yet. Just took them apart and cleaned as much as I could. I've had trouble finding exactly which kit I need. My engine is the 42a707 type 2238E1.

I

ILENGINE

If the fuel pump cover has 3 screws holding it one use kit 694056. If the cover has 4 screws then use kit 693503

J

Jdtbolding

If the fuel pump cover has 3 screws holding it one use kit 694056. If the cover has 4 screws then use kit 693503

Thank you sir. And another question, will that come with carb and fuel pump parts or is it 2 seperate kits?

I

ILENGINE

The kit will come with carb gaskets, and needle valve. Also includes the diaphragms, and springs for the fuel pump. I don't remember if it also includes the bigger spring with the cap or not.

J

Jdtbolding

Ok I finally got the kit and and rebuilt the carb last night. Going to test it out tonight after work. I've noticed that the governor spring and screw assembly is very loose when the throttle control isn't all the way up is this normal or has something broke?

R

Rivets

Throttle linkage and spring will be loose until the engine start to rev up.

J

Jdtbolding

Well tonight I tried starting it. Just kept turning over til the battery died. Carb and pump seems fine. Has some gas spitting up from the carb and has spark.

J

Jdtbolding

Ok I spoke a little too soon. As soon as I had some juice in the battery it fired right up. Ran for about 45 minutes while I cut my front yard. Ran like a top. No sputtering not even a hiccup. Moved the throttle down to half and it kids started spitting but I'm ok with that I just won't move the throttle. Thanks a lot for all the help fellas!

J

Jdtbolding

Although it still won't start when it's hot. I guess ill chang the coil and see if that helps.