Export thread

Yard Machine feels like it is jumping out of gear

C

cstill

I have a 2007, 38" cut Bolens by MTD. When going forward it feels like it is jumping out of gear and then back in. I have pulled the transmission down to make sure there are no teeth missing on the gears and everything looks fine. It seems to be worse when going up a hill and does not do it at all in reverse. Any help is welcome.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Have you changed the drive belt?

C

cstill

Have you changed the drive belt?

Yes, both belts have just been changed.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Oil level good? Did you bleed the hydro? Raise back wheels off the ground. Start mower with hydros in bypass mode. Move the levers forward for 10 seconds and reverse for 10 sec 5 times. Move hydros out of bypass mode and repeat.

C

cstill

Oil level good? Did you bleed the hydro? Raise back wheels off the ground. Start mower with hydros in bypass mode. Move the levers forward for 10 seconds and reverse for 10 sec 5 times. Move hydros out of bypass mode and repeat.

What is the hydros? Noise sounds like it is coming from the transmission. I saw on another thread with similar problem that it may be the pulley and sprocket that comes off the top of the transmission.

BlazNT

BlazNT

hydros = transmission for this thread.

Fish

Fish

Sounds like he has the old variable speed pulley system.

2 questions

Did you put on the correct oem belts?

Look at the rear end, it has the 4 long mounting bolts on the frame, there should be another on the front to bolt the trans to the frame.