XT2 Thermostat issue SOLVED - Troubleshooting info

CubbyCommando

Threads
Hi All,

Just wanted to document an issue I recently encountered with my 2016 Cub Cadet XT2 with a Kohler 7000 (KT-735) engine.

Symptoms: Mower would intermittently run rough and spew black smoke, sputter and eventually stop running. It finally got so bad it would barely run.

Troubleshooting: I have a 2 vintage motorcycles from the 80's that I putz with so I suspected the choke wasn't opening. Note: This engine model has the *cough* "Smart Choke".
I pulled the air cleaner off and sure enough the choke plate would barely open. It would open enough (air vane assisted) to start the mower but it ran extremely rough and would spew black smoke and eventually just shut down.
So I pulled the shroud to check the linkages and "Air Vane" and everything moved freely. So looking closer I saw that the thermostat connected to the choke lever so I suspected the thermostat went bad. So, first things first, I disconnected the wire connector and with the key turned on, checked to see if the thermostat was getting voltage with a multimeter.

Nope, no voltage detected. So I had to figure out where the thermostat got it's voltage from. Pulled up a copy of the circuit diagram and surprisingly it is being fed by the oil sensor (I never would have guessed that). So, I mosey over the oil sensor and pull the connector and sure enough the ground tab was broken off (picture1). I made a pigtail (picture2) to jump the power over to the thermostat and it started and ran beautifully. I just got the new oil sensor in today and swapped it out and can confirm the fix is good.

Just wanted to share because the oil sensor would have been one of the last things I would have suspected as it has nothing to do with the fuel intake. Also, a multimeter is your friend for any part that has a wire connected to it.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Cheers.
20220623_141513.jpg20220623_141156.jpg