XT1 stopped dead while mowing, starter won't crank

danw

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / XT1 stopped dead while mowing, starter won't crank
XT1 about 6 years old model # 13APA1CT010 LT46. 22HP Kohler 7000 engine

Started fine, ran for 10 minutes then stopped dead. There is no response to an attempt to start it, as though a starter interlock is open. Blade clutch handle is back where it should, left pedal all the way down, weight on the seat, those are the three interlocks I know of and they're where they belong.

Questions:
Is there a 4th or 5th starter interlock?
Are all interlock switches in series with the starter solenoid coil?

something like this?
12V(+) ------o start o--------o pedal o-------o seat o-------o blade clutch o------------O solenoid coil O -------GND.

Is there an interlock in engine ignition circuit?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your XT1 has a electric solenoid fuel shut off on the carburetor , hold your hand on the carb bowl and you should feel and hear a click there when the switch is turned to ON . With a yes or no reply , maybe a XT1 X-pert can take it from there .

Ronni

Threads
Check each interlock switch for continuity to see if each one is working. It only takes one for the problem.

danw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for you quick reply.

I removed the hood to get a look at the carburetor and sure enough it appears to have a fuel solenoid hanging off the bottom of the bowl:

Fuel solenoid on kohler engine.jpg

But I noticed that the headlight wiring had touched the engine exhaust pipe and melted through the insulation. That had to have popped a fuse.

burned headlight wires.jpg

I poked around looking for a fuse and found a 20 Amp (yellow) automotive plastic 2 blade fuse under the seat.

I fixed the wiring, replaced the fuse and the mower starts and runs like it should

I did not feel or hear the fuel solenoid click on either of the two ignition positions. But fuel is getting through.

Thanks for suggestion of the fuel solenoid. Who knows when I would have noticed the burned wiring if I hadn't pulled the hood off.