X300 (2006) Mower Spindle Won't Take Grease

MrBatter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found out the Zerk wasn't bad after I pried it out as it took grease just fine once removed. I've read that JD put Zerks on some spindles just for show & that the spindle bearings are actually sealed requiring no grease even though the owner's manual says to grease every 50 hrs. This machine only has 160 yrs on it and those 2 spindles have never been greased. Does anyone know if these spindles (OE) need to be greased? If so, what's my next step? Disassemble the spindle? (I've seen online vids on the process) Take off the spindle(s), take it to JD & have them grease it? I'm hearing that a new spindle is only about $60. Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try that the spindles are $93 from JD. Just looked them on Green Farm Parts which gives the brick and mortar price ie your local price most likely.

JD changed spindles that were install several times some used sealed bearings, some used greaseable metal shield bearings, and some used bearings without shields. The bearing do appear the 6203 series. The only way to find out is to disassembly the spindles as none of us have x-ray eyes. I do recommend not removing the spindles from but instead disassemble while are still attached to decks. This is due the mounting screws have a tendency the snap off as seize in the spindle housings. Then you need new spindles if they do.

And the grease zerks on spindles without greaseable bearing I do see that here on many replacement spindles on other brands too.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And if they contain sealed bearings then don't try to force grease in beyond normal pressure because it can either damaged the seals or in some cases cause a side load on the bearings leading to premature bearing failure.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And if they contain sealed bearings then don't try to force grease in beyond normal pressure because it can either damaged the seals or in some cases cause a side load on the bearings leading to premature bearing failure.
Yes it can actually collapse the seals into the bearings. I have done this here before I found out the Husqvarna was installing sealed bearings in their greaseable spindles. Now I take the new replacement before I even install them to remove the inner seals. Even then you blow out the outer rubber seals which why I have the ZZ bearings on hand to replace the 2RS bearings.