won't turn over

bebuzz69

Threads
i have a toro rear engine mower, and it won;t do anything by turning the key, i can pull the wire off the coil and jump it direct to the starter.and it will run,
or i can jump the solinoid and it will start but not the the key. could it be the solinoid or some thing in the wiring.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So, when you turn the key to start, NOTHING happens at all, correct? engine doesn't spin no noise etc....
Sounds like a safety switch to me.
give us the complete model number of the mower.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
i have a toro rear engine mower, and it won;t do anything by turning the key, i can pull the wire off the coil and jump it direct to the starter.and it will run,
or i can jump the solinoid and it will start but not the the key. could it be the solinoid or some thing in the wiring.

Before you replace the solenoid, check to see if it's getting juice from the key switch. If it's a 3 point solenoid, with the key on, take a piece of wire and connect the + side of the battery to the solenoid tab and see if it kicks over (with the coil/kill wire disconnected)
Same procedure if it's a 4 post solenoid. Just make sure you don't connect the wire to the grounding tab.

Initially, a basic test light, connected to the + side of the battery and touching the solenoid tab, will light up when you turn the key to start.