Won't run

gramps75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn boy 2 stroke with metal carb and bowl and wind sail gov. Runs on a squirt of gas. Cleaned carb best I know bowl is full of gas does nothing. Choke or no choke.

Attachments

• 20221009_180605.jpg
    20221009_180605.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221009_180617.jpg
    20221009_180617.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 4

Keljan11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bet the fuel isn't getting through from the float bowl to the carb. Is the float stuck, and have you tried cleaning the ports on the bolt holding the float bowl to the carb (forget what the part is called. It's usually brass, and a 1/2" wrench to take it off the bowl). I've had issues a few times, and that's all it took to get them running again

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two jets that will clog on this carb. One is the high speed jet which is part of the bowl nut holding the float bowl in place. The other is screwed into the left side of the carb and is called the idle jet. This screw has two passage ways which must be checked. One goes through the side of the screw and very seldom clogs. The other comes up through the bottom and is most often is found clogged. This jet is not easy to open for the DIY guys, as it is very small (.018”) and most don’t have the tools to open it. I use number drills and a pin vise starting with number 80 and go down finishing with number 77. You need to go very,very slow, being careful not to break the drill bit. PLEASE DO NOT USE WELDING TIP FILES, as they will ruin the jet very quickly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I should add that any time I clean one of these carbs I replace the float needle and seat.

Keljan11

Forum Newbie
Threads
A
There are two jets that will clog on this carb. One is the high speed jet which is part of the bowl nut holding the float bowl in place. The other is screwed into the left side of the carb and is called the idle jet. This screw has two passage ways which must be checked. One goes through the side of the screw and very seldom clogs. The other comes up through the bottom and is most often is found clogged. This jet is not easy to open for the DIY guys, as it is very small (.018”) and most don’t have the tools to open it. I use number drills and a pin vise starting with number 80 and go down finishing with number 77. You need to go very,very slow, being careful not to break the drill bit. PLEASE DO NOT USE WELDING TIP FILES, as they will ruin the jet very quickly.
All I use is a twist tie wire with the paper removed. I've got some thumb drills, but haven't used them (too big, and don't want to damage the jet)

gramps75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't recall seeing any holes in the bowl bolt. I didn't notice any jet on the outside body of carb will check that out. I do recall cleaning such a jet on Honda carb before. I was hoping to find u tube vid on it but did not

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, about that, but I looked up the wrong carb. Yours should have an idle mixture screw on the left side, not an idle jet. Here is a procedure I found on another site which might help you.

Things to check. There should be a small filter in the carb where the fuel hose attaches. Remove, clean and reinstall. Check that the throttle cable is adjusted properly. Pretty sure your has a choke so remove the air filter and loosen the adjustment bolt and while looking in the carb opening, and with the throttle lever on full choke, adjust the cable so the choke butterfly is just closed when the lever is all the way on choke. Also yours has an adjustment needle on the side of the carb. I cant remember for sure what the pre set is but normally you would lightly seat the needle and turn it out 2 to 2 1/2 turns. Start the mower and let it warm up. Turn the needle in 1/2 turn at a time, allowing for engine to stabilize between turns. Continue until engine starts to falter, then back out 1/4 turn at a time allowing the engine to stabilize each time. Once you get it to where it is running smooth again back it out another 1/4 to half turn. You don't want to run a two cycle at best (smoothest) lean setting. Better a little rich. Of course all this is assuming the carb is clean, all gaskets in good shape, etc. You will love that mower once you get it dialed in.